Elegoo 3D Printers Forum
Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - Printable Version

+- Elegoo 3D Printers Forum (https://www.elegoomars.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://www.elegoomars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: General Troubleshooting (https://www.elegoomars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working (/showthread.php?tid=490)

Pages: 1 2

Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - thatdjdude - 05-12-2020

Background - 2 week old Mars Pro with updated firmware provided by Elegoo via email

I turn on machine, loosen build plate screws, press "tools" button, enter the manual adjustment screen, Press "Home" button, re-tighten build plate screw, adjust build plate height until paper moves with slight pressure, go back one screen and press "Set z home"

I then go back to the Manual adjustment screen, press "Home" icon build plate goes back to its original position where paper is not movable until I adjust up 0.2mm.

Any help would be appreciated!

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - fromFDMtoSLA - 05-12-2020

what is the version # of the firmware, you got from Elegoo?

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - BoBowles - 07-09-2020

I am having a Similar issue but mine is off by 4.6 mm and because of this every time I go to print the bed bottoms out. I have cleaned both the tank and plate thoroughly and am still having issues. Everytime I reset the z axis I have this issue. my current version is V4.3.4_LCDC /1440X2560 /F2.14

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - cliffyk - 07-09-2020

I have performed the platen alignment procedure¹ "by the book" dozens of times. Meaning I have never used the [Image: MarsZ=0Buton-00.jpg] button. 

Though it is shown (grayed) in a couple of illustrations in he user manual, there is no textual reference to its use or need to be used. 

Perhaps using it is the problem?

------------------------------------
¹ - This action is not "leveling", as it does not align anything relative to the Earth's gravitational pull (as is done with filament printers).  

It is an alignment process to ensure that the build plate's face is in the same plane as the LCD screen. Elegoo's (or anyone else's) calling it "leveling" does mot make it such. You can "call a cow's tail a leg", but that does not mean a cow has five legs.

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - BoBowles - 07-09-2020

I wonder if they have different books then. Mine, under Unbox and Test, Step 6 States, "After the above leveling is complete, set the current Z axis position as the initial height of the first layer of printing. The operation is as follows: return to the previous interface and click "Set Z=0". At this time, the screen will pop up a message as shown in the picture. Click "Confirm" to complete." Also my Set Z=0 has a home icon above it not a refresh symbol with a zero in the center. If there is a different alignment procedure that does not use it where can I find it?

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - cliffyk - 07-10-2020

(07-09-2020, 10:18 PM)BoBowles Wrote: I wonder if they have different books then. Mine, under Unbox and Test, Step 6 States, "After the above leveling is complete, set the current Z axis position as the initial height of the first layer of printing. The operation is as follows: return to the previous interface and click "Set Z=0". At this time, the screen will pop up a message as shown in the picture. Click "Confirm" to complete." Also my Set Z=0 has a home icon above it not a refresh symbol with a zero in the center. If there is a different alignment procedure that does not use it where can I find it?

Here is the manual (version 20190722), from the USB drive that came with my newest Mars (received May 7, 2020--a silver one, not that that should matter).

Step 6 of Unbox and Test is (Note: they do not call the alignment process "leveling", as it is not.¹):

"6. Test the UV lights by pressing
“Tool” – “Exposure” – “Next”
(See Picture 5). If the 2K screen
can display a complete rectangle
thenthe UV lights work perfectly."

There is no mention of the [Z=0] button...

--------------------------------------
¹ - I realise I am like a broken record on this, however the use of inexact/incorrect nomenclature is a pet peeve of mine--I have seen far too many projects fail because those involved did not use the same vocabulary. If this process were "leveling", some sort of reference tool (aka a "level") would be required.

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - cliffyk - 07-10-2020

I sent an email to Elegoo support asking specifically about the [Z=0] button intent and function--that was at 9:32 a.m. EST; i will report if I hear anything back...

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - maximumbeef - 07-10-2020

(07-10-2020, 03:32 PM)cliffyk Wrote: I sent an email to Elegoo support asking specifically about the [Z=0] button intent and function--that was at 9:32 a.m. EST; i will report if I hear anything back...

Did you hear anything back?  Just got mine, leveled it according to the one sheet of paper and nothing but buzzing and nothing works.  Screen works on the test, nothing prints.  Seems this firmware is so buggy that I have to go at least 5mm to make it move the paper.  Pretty frustrating as I have had 3 FDM printers and deal with leveling just fine with those.

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - cliffyk - 07-11-2020

(07-10-2020, 09:14 PM)maximumbeef Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 03:32 PM)cliffyk Wrote: I sent an email to Elegoo support asking specifically about the [Z=0] button intent and function--that was at 9:32 a.m. EST; i will report if I hear anything back...

Did you hear anything back?  Just got mine, leveled it according to the one sheet of paper and nothing but buzzing and nothing works.  Screen works on the test, nothing prints.  Seems this firmware is so buggy that I have to go at least 5mm to make it move the paper.  Pretty frustrating as I have had 3 FDM printers and deal with leveling just fine with those.
Nothing yet, and I am not holding my breath, at best I've had 50/50 success in contacting "support" for these sorts of (Cheap Asian) products. Though others have reported good things about Elegoo's support--we'll see.

Are you 100% certain both platen locking screws were loosened and the platen was free to swivel, swing and move vertically against the spring force of the holder?

I have had three of these now and have never had a problem with the platen alignment. When the locking screws are loose the platen should move almost 10 mm vertically with the internal spring wanting to push it down (gently, it is not an especially strong spring).

RE: Mars Pro "Set Z Home" seemingly not working - maximumbeef - 07-11-2020

100% positive.  I did the re-level this morning WITHOUT hitting the set z=0.  I also made sure to hit the 10mm up 10 times.  Filled the tank with 1/3 resin, printed immediately.  These directions are bad, I have a bad sensor somewhere, or the firmware is complete crap.  Each time I hit set z=0 and go back to the manual adjustment and hit home it is in exactly the same spot as before I adjusted anything.  It also seems like when you press the confirm button it doesn't seem to select it.  At least the button doesn't flash at all.  I did test to see if it will stay on the screen if I don't press anything and it does, so it must be registering the input.  Kind of reminds me with of a payment terminal issue I worked with the developer on.  Took us a bunch of tests and videos to show them that when you hit the left button it was selecting the right button's entry...

If it didn't print this time I was going to send it back.  Thanks for responding to this. Smile