Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inaccurate scaling
Hi every one
Im new to this, so Im really hoping someone can help me.
I have recently treated myself to an elagoo mars, mainly because i do a lot of 54mm scale dioramas and liked the idea of being able to print the detail accessories that I cant seem to source anywhere.
So, the printer arrives and I run off the test print. Lovely detail, nicely finished, very impressive. Next, I get myself onto tinkercad and run off a couple of simple prints ( guttering, drains, buckets etc). Again, all is well and I'm pleased with the results. 
I then get a bit adventurous and download an STL file of a composite figure, around 27 or so pieces which i would expected to be able to assemble easily. 
The original size of the figure was a little small for my taste so I scaled all the parts to 200% in Chitubox, and here began the problem.
Either Chitubox or the Elagoo has a very elastic interpretation of the concept of scale. The smaller parts seemed fine, but the larger the parts were the more inaccurately  they printed with quite noticeable differences in size to the smaller parts that it should join to.
I have double checked that I scaled all parts the same, and have even loaded two large parts into Chitubox ( a front and rear body piece, too large to fit on the print plate together when scaled so i have to print them seperately) to make certain that the pieces fit together before scaling and they do, perfectly.
So, is the problem with Chitubox and its scaling process, or is the Mars simply a cheap and inaccurate printer? For the small parts that I actually bought it for, its merely satisfactory and, I suppose, if I were simply printing miniatures then it wouldn't matter. I did expect a better level of accuracy for larger parts though, but I cant find any threads or videos that cover this problem as all the tutorials seem to be based around printing single part miniatures. Is my printer broken, or is this the best I can expect?
Sorry for such a long winded first post, but I really need some help here.
Any advice will be appreciated, so thanks in advance for any that I receive

Messages In This Thread
Inaccurate scaling - by reg - 05-10-2020, 03:35 AM
RE: Inaccurate scaling - by fromFDMtoSLA - 05-10-2020, 10:50 PM
RE: Inaccurate scaling - by reg - 05-11-2020, 07:01 AM
RE: Inaccurate scaling - by fromFDMtoSLA - 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM
RE: Inaccurate scaling - by reg - 05-11-2020, 09:53 AM
RE: Inaccurate scaling - by fromFDMtoSLA - 05-11-2020, 11:51 PM
RE: Inaccurate scaling - by reg - 05-12-2020, 01:05 AM
RE: Inaccurate scaling - by zemerick - 05-18-2020, 09:54 AM