Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Washable Resin ???
A recent post got me thinking about this stuff. Has anyone here ever had great (or even acceptable) results using "Water Washable" resin (WWR)?

Or even been able to actually wash it with water?

I bought a kilogram of Elegoo's Ceramic Gray WWR in September of 2020 and hated it--nothing but problems; difficult to wash, very brittle, no post cure UV resistance (even when painted with UV blocking acrylic). I complained to Elegoo and they sent me a kg of regular stuff without hesitation.

So I ask again has anyone used it and liked it?
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
I've tried the Elego WW resin with some success.  Specifically, printing cookie cutters and a couple of clips for my bike.  It was pretty soft immediately after printing (4s. exposure on a 0.05 layer height, 40s. for first layers), but I cured 3 min. each side in a UV box (this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y1HY81L/) and that made a big difference.   In terms of washability, I find just running the entire build plate under the hot tap works OK, but it does take quite a bit of pressure to get the resin out of all the little nooks. We are on a septic system so I don't have to pay too much attention to what goes down the drain.  I have found a short rinse in IPA after the water wash also helps, and wiping the build plate with IPA gets rid of any last traces of leftover cured resin.

I'm fairly new to this style of printing, so not sure how well these parts will hold up to long term usage - especially the bike clips as they will be outside in the sun.

One more potentially important fact - the WW resin I used was black in color, so I would assume it will perhaps be a bit more resistant to long term brittleness or over-curing in the sun, compared to a clear or semi-transparent resin?
That looks like a nice and affordable curing box! I made mine from an old microwave and a 30W 405 nm LED:

[Image: Mychamber_LED.JPG]

[Image: Mychamber_LED_ON_bright.JPG]
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
I like that microwave curing box :-)
It and my upgraded Mars are for sale--click here...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com