Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print Quality, Consistency, and Supports.
So for a while now I've been having some issues in regards to print quality, print consistency (ie, being able to repeatedly get a successful print), and issues with supports.

First, I have been using an Elegoo Mars 3D printer with ESun resin as it seems to be the only resin I can get to work >90% of the time, my printer is stored in a fairly well-heated garage (usually around 16-18 degrees Celcius on average), and my issues have been numerous.

The first of many issues is that sometimes the print will flatten, sometimes not. It doesn't seem to be consistent when it fails. I typically get farther on prints if I do not hollow out the print to save on resin, however over time this begins to really chew through the stuff. On my latest print, I was actually surprised to see that it completed about 95% of the model with minimal failure (the model has an arm outstretched upwards and the pistol completely flattened in his hand). This has completely ruined many models and is the chief cause of my frustration. I clean my FEP film every time so nothing is left stuck from the previous failure, and have my settings set for my selected resin.

The next biggest issues are that my prints often come out with features fused together, or not defined. The main example is when printing scaled armor, the scales often do not come through, or don't come through as well as they should. I've tried positioning the model so that faces with more detail are facing away from the build plate, but that seems to have minimal effect. Sometimes two parts of an object will get bridged together, leaving a mess when I go to try and clean up the model. This issue is most prevalent with supports. sometimes the slicer program (ChituBox), Automatically places supports, it'll make it hug really close to the model, resulting in a fusion on the surface and one ugly scar when I remove the support. I've tried tweaking the support angles and shapes, but no luck as of yet. I'm used to trimming the mold lines and sprue marks off of minis so this is sometimes a fairly minor issue, but it's annoying nonetheless. 

If anyone has some ideas or solutions to my issues please leave a reply. I don't have any pictures currently, but I may be able to upload upon request. 

Thank You.
Sounds like the parts are deforming during the peel process - you might try reducing the lift speed to give a slower, gentler peel
(01-30-2022, 01:26 PM)billtodd Wrote: Sounds like the parts are deforming during the peel process  - you might try reducing the lift speed to give a slower, gentler peel

Ok thanks, I'll try that on my next print and update my results!