Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Machine hitting screen and grinding during prints.
Let me preface that I have tried to Set Zero several time and during this I have loosened the plate to allow it to flex up and down. 

Whenever I press the "Home" button it will go all the way to the bottom of the track and begin grinding due to it not being able to go down any farther. During any print it will instantly go to the bottom of the vat and begin grinding due to it hitting the bottom and not being able to go any farther.

I have Set Zero several times as well as lubricating (I am using lithium grease) incase something was getting stuck. Right before this happened I quite literally just finished a test print that went flawlessly with zero issues. I did not touch anything other that just pressing a new print.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestion. I dont know what else to do..
If you remove the build plate and tank, does the Z axis home correctly? It should: go down until the sensor is triggered and them bob up and down to get an accurate stop.
(04-04-2022, 03:43 AM)billtodd Wrote: If you remove the build plate and tank, does the Z axis home correctly?  It should: go down until the sensor is triggered and them bob up and down to get an accurate stop.
When i removed the build plate and tank it will go to home and do the usual bob to stop. When it is at the lowest point i am unable to put the plate onto it because it is far too low.
Ah! Check if the sensor (a slotted opto switch on my saturn) has moved (loose?) or whether the trigger finger is broken or mis-aligned .
(04-05-2022, 06:46 AM)billtodd Wrote: Ah!  Check if the sensor (a slotted opto switch on my saturn) has moved (loose?) or whether the trigger finger is broken or mis-aligned .
The optical sensor is in place. Not loose at all from what i cant tell. Although i am not seeing a light from the sensor.
(04-06-2022, 07:31 PM)DownGraveZombie Wrote:
(04-05-2022, 06:46 AM)billtodd Wrote: Ah!  Check if the sensor (a slotted opto switch on my saturn) has moved (loose?) or whether the trigger finger is broken or mis-aligned .
The optical sensor is in place. Not loose at all from what i cant tell. Although i am not seeing a light from the sensor.

The sensors are infrared so they are not visible.

Does the Mars have a long finger to trigger the sensor  like the saturn? (see photo)

If the sensor is OK (and it seems to be because it bobs when homing) and it is being triggered in the correct position (trigger finger not bent or broken)  then ....

Is the build plate locking ball able to retract far enough into the socket so that it can be correctly adjusted ?

Loosen the two plate locking screws (a few turns) and check the that the plate will both move freely in an arc/rotate AND move in and out of the socket against a spring by a few millimetres.

re fit the loose plate and re-home the printer , you should see the plate lower to the bed , stop and the Z move to home a little further . Then you can tighten the plate lock screws (tight! use the non-ball end in the screw to get  good leverage)

I'm  thinking that the initial homing worked just well enough to get a print , but durng the print , it tugged on the plate a few times and was able to pull the out of the socket enough to cause your problem.

Bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-07-2022, 02:20 AM)billtodd Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 07:31 PM)DownGraveZombie Wrote:

The sensors are infrared so they are not visible.

Does the Mars have a long finger to trigger the sensor  like the saturn? (see photo)

If the sensor is OK (and it seems to be because it bobs when homing) and it is being triggered in the correct position (trigger finger not bent or broken)  then ....

Is the build plate locking ball able to retract far enough into the socket so that it can be correctly adjusted ?

Loosen the two plate locking screws (a few turns) and check the that the plate will both move freely in an arc/rotate AND move in and out of the socket against a spring by a few millimetres.

re fit the loose plate and re-home the printer , you should see the plate lower to the bed , stop and the Z move to home a little further . Then you can tighten the plate lock screws (tight! use the non-ball end in the screw to get  good leverage)

I'm  thinking that the initial homing worked just well enough to get a print , but durng the print , it tugged on the plate a few times and was able to pull the out of the socket enough to cause your problem.

Bill

When the locking ball is loosened completely it cannot retract enough to allow the plate to go down all the way. It will hit down on the screen and proceed to make grinding noise. It can only get to the bottom to bob when the build plate is completely removed. I have tried loosening the build plate several times. It is dipping way to low.

It does not have a finger trigger like the saturn does.
This is a real puzzle, I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas :-( (have you been in touch with elegoo ? Their support is slow , or delayed by time differences, but usually quite good)

Just as an experiment to see if the set zero is somehow causing the fault - with the plate and tray removed

home the Z ,
raise the Z up by a few mm and then 'set zero' (I'm not exactly sure what the set zero option is for!)

Home again and see it it homes to a higher position
(04-09-2022, 04:17 AM)billtodd Wrote: This is a real puzzle, I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas  :-( (have you been in touch with elegoo ? Their support is slow , or delayed by time differences, but usually quite good)

Just as an experiment  to see if the set zero is somehow causing the fault -  with the plate and tray removed

home the Z ,
raise the Z up by a few mm and then 'set zero'  (I'm not exactly sure what the set zero option is for!)

Home again and see it it homes to a higher position
Set zero is only for when printing. I have contacted Elegoo support when i first submitted this thread. They have gotten back to me once asking if i loosened the screws in the build plate despite me fully describing the situation. I was going out on a limb hoping someone where would help me before i waited a month to get my machine fixed. 

I do fully appreciate the help.
(04-03-2022, 12:03 PM)DownGraveZombie Wrote: Let me preface that I have tried to Set Zero several time and during this I have loosened the plate to allow it to flex up and down. 

Whenever I press the "Home" button it will go all the way to the bottom of the track and begin grinding due to it not being able to go down any farther. During any print it will instantly go to the bottom of the vat and begin grinding due to it hitting the bottom and not being able to go any farther.

I have Set Zero several times as well as lubricating (I am using lithium grease) incase something was getting stuck. Right before this happened I quite literally just finished a test print that went flawlessly with zero issues. I did not touch anything other that just pressing a new print.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestion. I dont know what else to do..

Did you ever get this solved?? I just got my printer and I’m having the exact same issues to a T.

Thank you!