Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Very New & Lost
So New to 3D Printing. Like today was the first attempt to print the “Rook” with a fail, nothing on the plate @ 46%. I really would like a more detailed Operating Manual or something that is more detailed on Elegoo Mars Pro Printing, Slicer Software Chitubox & other pertinent information. Where do the stilts (for the lack of a proper name) generate from? Do you have to plan those in Rhino?  I’m an Equestrian Jewelry designer by wax carving, Rhino, Matrix6.3, MasterCAM with CNC Milling, I’m hoping 3D Printing will be easier & more fun than the slow Mill. I have many jewelry files that I want to print. Really feeling a bit lost. Please point me in a direction to fill these needs.
It might seem a bit odd but the main important thing for 3D resin printing is patience.
I mean time cure a layer of resin.
A resin is a blend of several chemicals. One of them responds to UV light. This material will generate arms and legs at molecular level, to connect to other chemicals to generate a solid plastic. Inside a resin are also color-particles. The size and color of these particles, will partly influence how fast a resin can transform into a solid plastic. Certain colors will absorb UV-light better than others and leaves less energy for the arms and legs material. This is the reason why different resins / colors sometimes got different exposuretimes.
At internet you can find all kind of tables for optimum curingtimes, for different resins, colors and brands.

Next are the so called "stilts" An object printed at the buildplate should stick to it when printing. When printing a ring, straight up, the "stilts" are needed. Also it needs a platform to connect to the buildplate and to the object itself (ring). If the connections from buildplate to ring is not strong enough, it breaks. Same, if the connections to the ring or not well designed (result : snap off).
Lifting a buildplate up, generates a vacuum or sucktionforce. Faster liftingspeed means higher temporary sucktckionforce. If this force is too high or printed object is not well cured, things will snap or slide off (platform or stilts) or might even cause the builtplate to wobble a bit.

Another parameter to keep in mind : temperature or viscosity. You can imagine, if a resin is thick, it generates more suckionforce.  Besides, inside a cold resin a chemical reaction will perform slower than in luke warm resin. Don't translate this into : resin at boiling temperature will be even better!
Thank You SPfenning!  I have made progress in the past days.  Got the Sample Rooks printed along with the bottom of a bracelet & some charms. Yeah. Now having issues with Chitubox & Lychee I will persevere.   Wink