Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubbery Prints
Hey all,
Coming here for some help as I am having an issue with my Elegoo Mars Pro.  Lately all of my prints have been coming you like wet noodles.  What I mean is that after they print I can bend them all over the place without breaking.  This is pre curing of course but not normal.

I have replaced the LCD, FEP, leveled and releveled, bought new resin (just in case of a bad batch).
In addition, I have played with the exposure times and settings to try and see what I could find.

Here is my findings.  I Have to now increase my bottom exposure time to 70 and Exposure time to 16 to even get a file to print at all and they come out super soft.

I am worried that my bulb/lens is going out.  I looked at the light when doing the test and cannot really tell if it is dim or not.  I don't have holes or blank spots and it doesn't look like it dims at any location.  
I have had the machine for 2 years and have used it somewhat frequently.  I couldn't tell you the number of hours.

I use ELEGOO 3D Printer Resin LCD UV-Curing Resin 405nm Standard Photopolymer Resin for LCD 3D Printing Translucent 1000g

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
(09-14-2022, 04:34 PM)CMD1970 Wrote: Hey all,
Coming here for some help as I am having an issue with my Elegoo Mars Pro.  Lately all of my prints have been coming you like wet noodles.  What I mean is that after they print I can bend them all over the place without breaking.  This is pre curing of course but not normal.

I have replaced the LCD, FEP, leveled and releveled, bought new resin (just in case of a bad batch).
In addition, I have played with the exposure times and settings to try and see what I could find.

Here is my findings.  I Have to now increase my bottom exposure time to 70 and Exposure time to 16 to even get a file to print at all and they come out super soft.

I am worried that my bulb/lens is going out.  I looked at the light when doing the test and cannot really tell if it is dim or not.  I don't have holes or blank spots and it doesn't look like it dims at any location.  
I have had the machine for 2 years and have used it somewhat frequently.  I couldn't tell you the number of hours.

I use ELEGOO 3D Printer Resin LCD UV-Curing Resin 405nm Standard Photopolymer Resin for LCD 3D Printing Translucent 1000g

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Interesting problem ! 

Does the resin harden when exposed to sun or curing lamp? (I assume you are shaking the bottle well)

The only time I've seen anything similar is when I was experimenting with dyeing the resin , excessive pigment/ink softened the resin.

Can you see if all the all the UV LEDs are actually alight?  (or the whole of the cob is alight, if single device)

I suppose it could be the LEDs dying , they do have a finite life or maybe the driver is failing ? (anything obviously hot on the driver board?)

Bill
(09-15-2022, 04:41 AM)billtodd Wrote:
(09-14-2022, 04:34 PM)CMD1970 Wrote: Hey all,

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Interesting problem ! 

Does the resin harden when exposed to sun or curing lamp? (I assume you are shaking the bottle well)

The only time I've seen anything similar is when I was experimenting with dyeing the resin , excessive pigment/ink softened the resin.

Can you see if all the all the UV LEDs are actually alight?  (or the whole of the cob is alight, if single device)

I suppose it could be the LEDs dying , they do have a finite life or maybe the driver is failing ? (anything obviously hot on the driver board?)

Bill
The resin does cure mostly.  The print still feels a little sticky but does harden.
I do shake the bottle before each use and have not added anything.  I have tried multiple bottles to see if the resin was bad but it is happening with both.

To me it looks like the entire build surface lights up but I can't really tell if it is full strength.

I have not noticed anything overly hot on the driver board but will check again.

Not sure how much a replacement UV lamp costs and I can't seem to find one online either.
This might be a good one for Grant at 3dmusketeers.com and his youtube channel show called 'print fail Friday '   (he is genuinely a helpful and knowledgeable guy)

What temperature is your print room/area?  Cold ,i.e below 20'C can cause failed prints and so, I suppose, can very hot temperatures.

Might be worth experimenting with an exposure test print like the 'test cones'  (I'll have to look up the name) or similar.

https://www.reddit.com/r/resinprinting/c...p_foundry/
Another thought, Is there any chance you might have spilled resin onto the machine and it found its way onto the lens? Ut would only need a thin film to absorb a considerable amount of uv light
(09-16-2022, 11:58 AM)billtodd Wrote: This might be a good one for Grant at 3dmusketeers.com and his youtube channel show called 'print fail Friday '   (he is genuinely a helpful and knowledgeable guy)

What temperature is your print room/area?  Cold ,i.e below 20'C can cause failed prints and so, I suppose, can very hot temperatures.

Might be worth experimenting with an exposure test print like the 'test cones'  (I'll have to look up the name) or similar.

I will check out Grants channel thanks for the info.  I have messed with the temp of the room and have made sure it was around 23-24'C/75'F.  I am adding attachments of what the test exposure looks like for my bulbs just to see what you all think.

Thanks again.

(09-17-2022, 04:44 AM)billtodd Wrote: Another thought,  Is there any chance you might have spilled resin onto the machine and it found its way onto the lens? Ut would only need a thin film to absorb a considerable amount of uv light
I took the printer apart and everything looked clean.
[attachment=537 Wrote:         CMD1970 pid='3822' dateline='1664311272']
(09-16-2022, 11:58 AM)billtodd Wrote: This might be a good one for Grant at 3dmusketeers.com and his youtube channel show called 'print fail Friday '   (he is genuinely a helpful and knowledgeable guy)

I will check out Grants channel thanks for the info.  I have messed with the temp of the room and have made sure it was around 23-24'C/75'F.  I am adding attachments of what the test exposure looks like for my bulbs just to see what you all think.

Thanks again.

(09-17-2022, 04:44 AM)billtodd Wrote: Another thought,  Is there any chance you might have spilled resin onto the machine and it found its way onto the lens? Ut would only need a thin film to absorb a considerable amount of uv light
I took the printer apart and everything looked clean.