Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lcd screen damaged - why?
Hi everyone. I’ve just joined the forum and would appreciate some help in solving a few issues I’m having with my Mars2 printer. I purchased the printer approx 12 months ago but due to too many projects on the go I only unpacked it and set it up a couple of weeks ago.

The firmware needed updating and the build plate wouldn’t adjust correctly - retapping the threads for the clamping screws and replacing them with grub screws solved this. The first couple of prints from the samples provided worked well and I was really impressed with the quality and finish. So much better than my filament printer.

Venturing further I downloaded some stl files and got to grips with Chitubox using standard settings to match the machine and the resin. These prints were again successful but I noticed congealed resin in the diagonally opposite corners of the resin tank as if these had been activated from the lcd screen. These were lifted off the FEP with a fine paintbrush, filtered the resin and tried again with a fully loaded build plate. Disaster – the resin was again activated in the corners but not matching the print. It was as if either the LCD screen or the build plate was twisted allowing the light to seep underneath the tank. The build plate was tested for flatness on an engineers surface plate with no problem. This left the LCD screen and I couldn’t decide how to test this without taking the machine to pieces.

So, shut down, cleaned the tank, filtered the resin. This time I noted ripples in two areas of the FEP film where the majority of the items were printed. Repeated the print and it failed again. This time the tank had stuck to the LCD screen – pin holes had developed in the rippled area on the FEP film and had allowed resin to leak onto the screen – two blobs approx 1/8 inch diameter were fully hardened. This appeared to lift a film off the LCD screen which looks as if it has destroyed it.

New screen, new pack of FEP film and replacement resin has been purchased but before stripping down the machine I need some help to understand what has happened.

regards Phil