Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Control Printer via UART
Hi! I'm new here, but I'm really happy to see this thread.

I've been on a similar path with my Elegoo Mars Pro. I ended up writing a web interface to control it over wifi with a Raspberry Pi Zero W, since Octoprint is so tailored for FDM printers.

I have the code on GitHub here: https://github.com/luizribeiro/mariner

If there's any interest on it, I'm happy to work with others to add support for other printers. Feel free to create issues or pull requests on the repo.
(10-11-2020, 09:50 AM)l9o Wrote: Hi! I'm new here, but I'm really happy to see this thread.

I've been on a similar path with my Elegoo Mars Pro. I ended up writing a web interface to control it over wifi with a Raspberry Pi Zero W, since Octoprint is so tailored for FDM printers.

I have the code on GitHub here: https://github.com/luizribeiro/mariner

If there's any interest on it, I'm happy to work with others to add support for other printers. Feel free to create issues or pull requests on the repo.

Fantastic job! I am not sure I'm ready to hack my Mars Pro, but sure this will be a very nice improvement!
Hi dadwarf and l9o

I'm doing the mod on mine, everything went well from hardware to software until tests, I would need help to troubleshoot what's wrong

I've done everything twice to be certain I didn't miss a step or something else and it all result the same way
Mariner Wrote:Unexpected Printer Response

The printer returned an unexpected response: ''

Details

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/venvs/mariner3d/lib/python3.7/site-packages/flask/app.py", line 1950, in full_dispatch_request
    rv = self.dispatch_request()
  File "/opt/venvs/mariner3d/lib/python3.7/site-packages/flask/app.py", line 1936, in dispatch_request
    return self.view_functions[rule.endpoint](**req.view_args)
  File "/opt/venvs/mariner3d/lib/python3.7/site-packages/mariner/server/api.py", line 45, in print_status
    selected_file = elegoo_mars.get_selected_file()
  File "/opt/venvs/mariner3d/lib/python3.7/site-packages/mariner/mars.py", line 102, in get_selected_file
    self._extract_response_with_regex("ok '([^']+)'\r\n", data).group(1)
  File "/opt/venvs/mariner3d/lib/python3.7/site-packages/mariner/mars.py", line 39, in _extract_response_with_regex
    raise UnexpectedPrinterResponse(data)
mariner.exceptions.UnexpectedPrinterResponse
I Saw dadWarf got it working on a "non pro" version, so I tried it
It feels like the pi can't communicate with the mars mainboard but like I said I verified all my connection and welds,
I didn't saw anything wrong.

Elegoo Mars F/W: V4.3.2
Raspi Zero W
Raspi OS Lite (fresh download with raspi imager 1.4)
Powered by a buck converter
Python V3.7.3
Mariner V0.1.1

Any Help would be appreciated.
Hey bob_the_vampire,

Is it possible that something else is using your serial port? Also, does the mariner user have access to the serial port?

Can you try installing something like minicom and connect to /dev/serial0 with baud rate 115200?

Once you do that, if you send a command such as M4000, does the printer reply successfully? What if you send the command M4006?
Hi thanks for the quick reply, I'm still on a learning curve with those raspi.
So i managed to install minicom and configure it, next I tried to communicate with the mars
both m4000 and m4006 nothing come back, next I tried to loop back the serial to be sure nothing was keeping me from using it and everything I sent came back instantly so the problem isn't coming from the pi nor your soft
I'll take a third look to my cables and the welds on the Mars MB

Edit: I just realize that I don't have the 3.3V at TX RX on the mars MB is it normal?
ok! so after repairing the RX pad on the elegoo MB I got it too work!
So now it only need to wait for the .cbddlp files to be supported
Thanks a lot for all this dadwarf and l9o

P.S.: does someone already verified if it could be done to use a pro firmware on a standard mars?
which are the difference between them anyway?
I inadvertently loaded the mars pro_3.5_UI_20200824.bin and other Pro files--from that latest package offered by Elegoo--onto my plain ol' Mars (s/n M20Silver20200401) and it runs just fine. Didn't realize I had done it 'til a couple days later when i went to clear the USB drive and load some .ctb files to it...

Don't see that it does (or doesn't) do anything the Mars firmware didn't...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
that's well enough for me I'll continue that way at least for the tests Wink thanks
(11-09-2020, 03:53 PM)bob_the_vampire Wrote: So now it only need to wait for the .cbddlp files to be supported

bob, do you need .cbddlp support? From what dadwarf said it seems like you can use .ctb on the original Mars just fine with a firmware upgrade.

So I'm not sure if it's worth it to implement support for .cbddlp, but if it's important for someone I'm happy to do it one of these days.
No that's fine I realized that my firmware version (4.3.2) already support ctb files, I don't know from which version it is added but it's strange that we need to force chitubox to use this format or make it think we have a mars pro so it offer ctb as default.
Out of this everything is working perfectly, so you could tell it is compatible with the non-pro ones.
I added Samba winbind on mine for easier USB file management it feel easier for me than winscp

P.s. A friend of mine got the V4.2.20.3 with the network ready board and told me that ctb files work on his too