Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resin Dyes
There is a one-off project I want to do which calls for a specific clear colour which isn't readily available. I'm thinking of trying using an epoxy dye which some sources suggest will work fine with 3D printed resins but they are light on details about which dyes work best etc.

Does anyone have experience with dyeing resin and in particular the Elegoo transparent resin?
(07-25-2019, 04:41 AM)GBee Wrote: There is a one-off project I want to do which calls for a specific clear colour which isn't readily available. I'm thinking of trying using an epoxy dye which some sources suggest will work fine with 3D printed resins but they are light on details about which dyes work best etc.

Does anyone have experience with dyeing resin and in particular the Elegoo transparent resin?
I am new to the 3D printing world, as I have only had my printer for less than 2 weeks. It was an early present from my fiancé and with it I got a 1000ml bottle of the Elegoo green translucent resin and have printed my way through that bootle in a few days. After I felt the addiction of 3D printing, we ordered so more Elegoo resin (blue and red), however, due to shipping mishaps I never received these bottles and had to re-order them. While my blue and red resin were floating around at post offices, I ordered and bottle of the Clear resin and received an opportunity to review another clear/translucent brand of resin and a set of dye colors (this was to help replace my blue and red quickly). 

I have tried both the Elegoo and Sain Smart translucent resins with the dyes and have wonderful success. The blue resin was going to be used for Terraforming Mars ocean tiles. So I mixed in a few drops of a green and a few drops of a blue, trying for a swirl effect. While I didn’t get the effect I was looking for, the tiles came out a nice greenish translucent color. It wasn’t the color we were looking for, so I added more blue and printed another set of ocean tiles. This next set were the perfect blue for the ocean tiles. After the ocean tiles, I printed a set of special tiles for the game. I knew I wanted them a brownish color, so I added a bunch of Coffee color to the vat and again the color can out great. The Ocean tiles were printed with Elegoo resin and the Special tiles with the Sain Smart and both worked with the dye perfectly. 

The dye I used was DecorRom (which I got from Amazon). My fiancé order me the 18 pack. I am attaching a photo of the Terraforming Mars Ocean and City tiles. The City tiles are closer to the swirl effect that I was going for. .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)