Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Z Axis Rail Calibration
So, a while back when doing some printer maintenance and troubleshooting a banding issue, I had to remove the Z axis carriage/arm.  One thing I noticed was that the bearing setup was way out of adjustment and extremely snug.  So snug in fact, that you could feel it stretching the Z axis rail when it was put back into place (with the anti-backlash nut removed).  Also, it took a little bit of force to move it by hand, it didn't move freely or drop under it's own weight.

So, I decided to tear it apart and yes, the roller bearing is adjustable Smile

Needless to say, it takes a few attempts to get it just right.  Needs to slide into the Z rail where it's slightly snug and a little tap gets it on, yet still will fall under its own weight.  After doing this, then doing the usual leveling the build plate and running a test print, the banding issue was for the most part gone.  I've also replaced the anti-backlash nut with a TR8x2 POM nut (available on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RKXWDSG/)

Did you ever post the item for the v2 units described in your video to thingiverse?
Printer is due tomorrow and this looks like a super needed mod.... that's some questionable engineering.
(03-02-2020, 09:05 AM)geekboy Wrote: Did you ever post the item for the v2 units described in your video to thingiverse?
Printer is due tomorrow and this looks like a super needed mod.... that's some questionable engineering.

This just sounds like an issue with their specific printer. I don't know anyone else that has had to do this.
(03-02-2020, 09:05 AM)geekboy Wrote: Did you ever post the item for the v2 units described in your video to thingiverse?

No, this wasn't posted to thingiverse as there are no additional items required.   This also doesnt apply to all printers as they are all different from the factory.

This is only a suggestion to calibrate the z rail bearings to help get rid of z banding.
Did this mod today and have to say it is very effective and simple to do. Tanks for the how to.