Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Removing Models from build plate with a guitar pick
I mostly print things flat on the build plate.  In the past, it has been difficult to remove them sometimes.  I used to use a plastic putty knife and a hammer.  It works, but the putty knives quickly get nicked up.  Recently I discovered that a guitar pick works really well.  I use a plastic, 0.5 mm thick triangular guitar pick.  So far, it has been fairly easy to work the tip under the model at some point.  Once you get it started, just pry around the edges until the model is free.  This has been very easy and a lot less risk of damage to the model.
I use a small block of wood, if the part has a flat surface, and tap the wood with a nylon tipped hammer. This usually avoids damage. 

I suppose if you're having difficulty releasing complex prints you could try applying a mold release agent to the build surface, sparingly at first (maybe apply it in 1/4" stripes), and let it dry before printing. You can get mold release products from hobby stores that sell polyester/epoxy and other casting resins or from plastic stores like Tap Plastics.
Thanks, good ideas. I run flat pieces as well and have run into trouble removing them. Applying lateral force over an area, instead of prying, is smart. Did not know about mold release.
ELEGOO Mars 2 Pro
ELEGOO Standard Resin (Gray)