Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IPA / SLA Solution disposal
Hi,
    I am an SLA printing noob. I understand that SLA resin is pretty toxic stuff and you can't just pour IPA solution saturated with it down the drain. I have been looking for safety data sheets to tell me how to handle and dispose of used resin, but I don't seem to be able to locate any on the internet.
I understand from what Iv'e  read that a good way to recover the IPA from a mixture of SLA resin and IPA would be to expose the solution to UV light to cure the resin and then filter out the precipitate.
I can't leave my filter paper outside to dry off where I live as many people have suggested, because it rains nearly all the time in the UK..
I am wondering if it would it be okay to burn the filter paper with the precipitate on it or would this be a bad idea ?

Similarly with the water washable resins what is the correct way to dispose of the waste water ?

Thanks for any advice

Jack Taylor
(11-27-2019, 01:41 PM)Mom zogtrog Wrote: Hi,
    I am an SLA printing noob. I understand that SLA resin is pretty toxic stuff and you can't just pour IPA solution saturated with it down the drain. I have been looking for safety data sheets to tell me how to handle and dispose of used resin, but I don't seem to be able to locate any on the internet.
I understand from what Iv'e  read that a good way to recover the IPA from a mixture of SLA resin and IPA would be to expose the solution to UV light to cure the resin and then filter out the precipitate.
I can't leave my filter paper outside to dry off where I live as many people have suggested, because it rains nearly all the time in the UK..
I am wondering if it would it be okay to burn the filter paper with the precipitate on it or would this be a bad idea ?

Similarly with the water washable resins what is the correct way to dispose of the waste water ?

Thanks for any advice

Jack Taylor
I am also a newbie and have a quantity of dirty ipa I need to dispose of. My theory is that the resin left after curing the waste ipa and filtering is now cured and thus not a hazard. Any other opinions would be gratefully received, I think that this may be a good solution, if you will pardon the pun! I am also in the uk and assume the other alternative is to be up front at the tip and tell them and pay for hazardous waste. Shouldn’t be too pricey?
Boonie
... why dispose? - simply expose the IPA to daylight, so any resin residues are cured, then filter and reuse it ...

Viktor
(11-28-2019, 01:21 AM)VDX Wrote: ... why dispose? - simply expose the IPA to daylight, so any resin residues are cured, then filter and reuse it ...

Viktor
Very succinctly put! Is what I meant to say. I think!

Boonie
When my first "Dirty" IPA wash gets too murky, I place the clear plastic container out in the sun. And the whole thing becomes a big rubbery blob. I shake it out onto a piece of paper towel or bit of an old cardboard box and set in the sun for it harden up. There is no IPA to recover, the whole thing becomes a rubbery solid. Once well cured, you can break or slice it up like a block of cheese so the smaller bits can dry out faster. I'll probably bring the blocks of cheese to my recycling center so they can dispose of it safely.

I keep 3 cheap clear plastic "tupperware" containers for cleaning. The first container I use for my first wash. The second is filled with clean(er) IPA for the second rinse. The third is filled with the old dirty first wash IPA. I rotate through the containers - as the final rinse starts getting it dirty, it beomes the first wash. The dirty first wash goes out in the sun for curing. And the emptied one becomes the clean wash container.

Not sure if the same process will work if I switch to Mean Green. It would likely take longer to evaporate than the IPA.