Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IPA outperforming Mean Green
The first part I made, I cleaned it off with 91% IPA and did my UV light cure.
The smell was strong so I looked for some alternatives.

I came across some recommendations for Mean Green and tried it several times.
Each time I would swish the part in it, then drop it into a mixer like this for about 3 minutes (which is what I did for my first part in IPA):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K2...UTF8&psc=1

The first Mean Green part I tried curing like I did with the IPA washed part.
The 2nd & third parts I left in the sun all day.
ALL
DAY

In all cases I am finding the parts I cleaned with the mean green to have a softer almost rubbery outer texture compared to my IPA washed parts.

I went back and tried IPA again, and the parts feel much better.
The rest of the process is unchanged, so I feel like the Mean Green must be the issue.

Has anyone else had similar results?

Is there something I am not doing that would result in the Man Green being a better alternative?
It still has a strong smell to me but not like the IPA!
(12-22-2019, 10:37 AM)greylock23 Wrote: The first part I made, I cleaned it off with 91% IPA and did my UV light cure.
The smell was strong so I looked for some alternatives.

I came across some recommendations for Mean Green and tried it several times.
Each time I would swish the part in it, then drop it into a mixer like this for about 3 minutes (which is what I did for my first part in IPA):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K2...UTF8&psc=1

The first Mean Green part I tried curing like I did with the IPA washed part.
The 2nd & third parts I left in the sun all day.
ALL
DAY

In all cases I am finding the parts I cleaned with the mean green to have a softer almost rubbery outer texture compared to my IPA washed parts.

I went back and tried IPA again, and the parts feel much better.
The rest of the process is unchanged, so I feel like the Mean Green must be the issue.

Has anyone else had similar results?

Is there something I am not doing that would result in the Man Green being a better alternative?
It still has a strong smell to me but not like the IPA!
I switched to Mean Green for cleaning my prints. While it takes a little longer to clean the pieces, I am getting completely clean piece. I also started using a ultrasonic cleaner. So my post-processing for my prints goes like this:
  1. Remove the print from the plate with really warm Mean Green. 
  2. Remove supports in the warm Mean Green or if there are no supports, I will swirl the print around a bit. 
  3. Put the print into the ultrasonic cleaner for 2x (480 second) runs separated by at least 5 minute (I bought a cheap Ultrasonic cleaner and it needs time between runs).
  4. Wash with warm water.
  5. Blow dry on low to remove all water.
  6. If there is still resin left (most time there is not), I go back to step 3.
The smell is 100 times better and there is definitely a cost saving in using the Mean Green.
Interesting.

Mean green may not be as strong of a smell but having to warm it and smell it for 20 minutes .... I'm not sure that is better.

Is an Ultra sonic cleaner necessary?
Or does that just speed it up?

Without one, would you need to use the MG for even longer?

How are you heating it?
I have a hot plate ... but then it's just another thing taking up desk space and eating power.
(01-13-2020, 09:51 AM)greylock23 Wrote: Interesting.

Mean green may not be as strong of a smell but having to warm it and smell it for 20 minutes .... I'm not sure that is better.

Is an Ultra sonic cleaner necessary?
Or does that just speed it up?

Without one, would you need to use the MG for even longer?

How are you heating it?
I have a hot plate ... but then it's just another thing taking up desk space and eating power.
Is the Ultrasonic Cleaner necessary? No. Before the US Cleaner, I used a tooth brush and spent a lot of time cleaning my prints. I also broke a couple fragile pieces while trying to brush away the resin.

Does it speed it up? I can set it and forget it. So I am doing other things while the prints clean themselves in the cleaner. This is a big time saver for me.

How am I heating? I heat my Mean Green the same way I heat my isopropyl. I boil a pot of water and while there is a rolling boil, I turn off the burner and add the bottle of cleaner. In a few minute the water water heats the cleaner safely.

One last note. The Mean Green works like Dawn dish soap on grease. The resin beads up and is much easier to clean. The whole area I was working would get all sticky with diluted isopropyl/resin, but with the Mean Green all my tool, container and work area are clean!