Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modified Gcode to only run the cooling fan while the printer is running
Okay, here's a thing that just happened to me.

I ran this config long ago, and it's been working just fine, except...

Today I got some "memory error" during the print, I watched the printer lift the print platform up, the requester mentioned trying to continue the print, and before I had time to memorize the error code, I saw the print platform go back down, then the requester just disappeared, and the print seemed to continue just fine.

Much later into the print, I touched the side of the printer to estimate the temperature, and it was rather warm. Looking below, I noticed the fan wasn't spinning at all! I eve tried to manually "give it a spin", but it seemed obvious, that it wasn't receiving any power (or was dead).

(I have replaced he original fan with MUCH more silent fan since it broke up, so with ANY background noise, I can't really hear it, unless I specifically listen to it)

Anyway, quickly put a desktop fan next to the printer, and it seemed to cool at least exterior really nicely (there wasn't that much longer left in the print)

So after the print finished successfully, I reformatted the USB drive (often said to help with such errors), copied over gcode file that sets the fan back to "always on" (not really a problem, as it's no longer loud), and after that, the fan is spinning just fine.

To be honest, I really am not sure what exactly happened. I *THINK* that the printer encountered an error, stopped the print, also stopping the fan, and after a while, automatically continued the print, without turning the fan back on.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I am probably not going to investigate this much further, since I already set my settings back to (assumably) safe.

I guess in worst case, this might damage the LCD or LEDs. But as said, I have seen this happen only once (which doesn't mean it couldn't have happened more often, as it all went "automatically", just happened to be close enough to the printer to notice)

TL;DR: These settings might leave fan off for the rest of the print in (USB) memory error situations.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modified Gcode to only run the cooling fan while the printer is running - by Jupp3 - 12-03-2020, 05:31 PM