Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Chitubox) parts are scaled
I recently opened some STLs that I modeled in Fusion 360 in Chitubox and they came in really small.
So I modeled a 1 inch cube as a test and it was also tiny. (See attached picture..look close to see cube).

Does anyone know what’s going on? I need to be able prints part the size that they were designed. Thanks for any help.

... maybe inch/mm confusion?

Viktor
(01-01-2020, 03:01 PM)VDX Wrote: ... maybe inch/mm confusion?

Viktor
I tested this using Cura and had the same problem. It turns out this is a common problem

I designed the part in inches, but apparently STL Files don’t contain unit information. Most slicing programs are expecting the file to be in mm’s so as a result the file comes in 25.4 times smaller.
... most of my CAD/CAM programs give the choice to export or import in different units and/or scales Wink

Viktor
(01-01-2020, 05:19 PM)VDX Wrote: ... most of my CAD/CAM programs give the choice to export or import in different units and/or scales Wink

Viktor
Interesting, I downloaded a Smithsonian file of Neil Armstrong in his astronaut suit and it came into Chitubox as 9mm when it is supposed to be 9 inches so this makes sense now.
(01-01-2020, 04:32 PM)Peter F Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 03:01 PM)VDX Wrote: ... maybe inch/mm confusion?

Viktor
I tested this using Cura and had the same problem. It turns out this is a common problem

I designed the part in inches, but apparently STL Files don’t contain unit information. Most slicing programs are expecting the file to be in mm’s so as a result the file comes in 25.4 times smaller.

i know abot the problem from FDM-printing. so i scaled the models up by the factor of 25.4 in each axis
On left edge, you have scale function, where you can scale part dimensions to specific mm value. After this, it changes the percentage value (which you can also change), which you can use for trying to figure out how to get the default dimensions correct when saving the file.

.stl indeed doesn't store any scaling data, only raw triangle coordinates.