Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D Software?
So far I have only used the slicing software ChiTuBox, which while it is awesome, it doesn't have all the functionality that I would like. I have found the need to either remove parts of a 3D file or need to segment a file so that it will fit on the plate size I have. After a little bit a research I decided to create an account with TinkerCAD and started to use it. I was able to remove a base, for a miniature I wanted to print (which made it print much better), but it was difficult to even do that. Anyone have any recommendations of 3D editing software? I use a Mac, so that is a requirement.
(01-12-2020, 08:40 PM)The_Resinator Wrote: So far I have only used the slicing software ChiTuBox, which while it is awesome, it doesn't have all the functionality that I would like. I have found the need to either remove parts of a 3D file or need to segment a file so that it will fit on the plate size I have. After a little bit a research I decided to create an account with TinkerCAD and started to use it. I was able to remove a base, for a miniature I wanted to print (which made it print much better), but it was difficult to even do that. Anyone have any recommendations of 3D editing software? I use a Mac, so that is a requirement.
Import into tinkercad, use rectangular void to mask plinth, select all and group, export as stocks file. Easy! Wink

Sorry should read stl file!
i would recommend the solidworks software
I think you may find CHEETAH to be capable, inexpensive yet powerful 3D software, while reasonably easy to use and not resource demanding.
(01-12-2020, 08:40 PM)The_Resinator Wrote: So far I have only used the slicing software ChiTuBox, which while it is awesome, it doesn't have all the functionality that I would like. I have found the need to either remove parts of a 3D file or need to segment a file so that it will fit on the plate size I have. After a little bit a research I decided to create an account with TinkerCAD and started to use it. I was able to remove a base, for a miniature I wanted to print (which made it print much better), but it was difficult to even do that. Anyone have any recommendations of 3D editing software? I use a Mac, so that is a requirement.
You could sign up for a student license for Fusion360.  Been using it for years and love it.  There is also SketchupMake.  It has an online free component that doesn't have a very steep learning curve.  If being online isn't a concern you could go with OnShape as well but it has a much steeping learning curve.
Fusion 360 is free to use for hobbyists. Top notch to design precise models for 3D printing or even CNC milling. Works perfectly on a MacBook Pro but can be a bit RAM-hungry when you work with very complex files. Easy to learn and plenty of forums and online resources to get help.