Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I love printing round disks on FEP... but time to move on
Hi all

Boy oh boy ... I got the Mars printer for xmas from Amazon. Yippeee....

When I print the example Rooks, all I get is round disks stuck to FEP.

In order to resolve this

1) I have scanned youtube and elhgoo.com
2) I padded and then doubled the edge with tape to prevent suction
3) I have re-levelled the print surface with paper several times (now bit of an expert)
4) I have changed resin from a grey plant resin to Elegoo blue resin
5) I have purchased a second Tank with new FEP
6) I have moved the printer from the safety of my (cold) shed to my (warm) office
7) I have joined this forum today!

No change to the results, but on the positive side I now have a fine collection of resin disks which Im told I can use as legitimate currency for future Elegoo purchases? (lol)

Sorry, I deviate,  three suggestions I yet to try

a) Put RainX on FEP (sounds plausable)
I cant find my RainX, is there something else I could use (someone mentioned wd40?) - wont these additives contaminate the resin?...

b) Reset Z=0.. but this is an unexplained process and I understand I could break my screen. (also sounds plausable)
I wonder could someone point me at the link to the Z=0 reset process and how I will avoid breaking my printer

c) Change my printer exposures (need idiots guide to how and where..)

Any suggestions for this newbie pls...

A bit frustrated here in cold rainy England
Mark

PS I saw that if I registered with Elegoo they would sent me some FEP sheets (usefui!)..cant find this link anywhere now... darn confounded internet...
did you use the pre-sliced version from Elegoo or did you slice the rook by yourself. If done by yourself, please show us (all) the slicer settings.
(01-13-2020, 10:20 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: did you use the pre-sliced version from Elegoo or did you slice the rook by yourself. If done by yourself, please show us (all) the slicer settings.
I printed what was on the memory stick (I was minimising reasons for failure)
just another idea: stucking z-axis.

did you try (i call it) a "dry run", that means: remove the VAT and remove the buildplate and than start the print and watch the z-axis: is it moving up during the print? until the print is finished in the final height? for the rook, the final height must be something around 50mm (distance between lcd and buildplate). to protect your eyes from the UV-light, put a piece of paper an the lcd.
(01-13-2020, 02:17 PM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: just another idea: stucking z-axis.

did you try (i call it) a "dry run", that means: remove the VAT and remove the buildplate and than start the print and watch the z-axis: is it moving up during the print? until the print is finished in the final height? for the rook, the final height must be something around 50mm (distance between lcd and buildplate). to protect your eyes from the UV-light, put a piece of paper an the lcd.
Thank I tried this, i noted the initial burn had the paper pinned tightly to the screen. is this too low?
Next test - Try to print the example rooks

Added rainX on FEP, but still stuck to FEP....Another failed print..

On a dry run, the initial position without the resin of the print plate absolutely pinned the paper to the screen, is that correct? My logic suggests there should be some gap?

Next, can I adjust the initial exposure times directly on the printer for the rooks? where?

am running out of ideas here Mr McElegoo
did you the "dry run" test? is z-axis moving up during the print time?
(01-14-2020, 08:40 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: did you the "dry run" test? is z-axis moving up during the print time?
yes the plate initially lowers on the z-axis (cant move paper sheet) , raised, lowers again (but the papersheet is now stiff but moveable), raised etc

Tonight's test print, I used silicon lube on the FEP.  Failed again - disks on the FEP once more.

why wont it print onto the print plate. I am only printing the example rooks straight from the memory stick.

I am using Elegoo photopolymer resin, UV wavelength 405nm,  made 2019/07/22, at room temperature 22'C

I am test printing on the stock tank with original FEP and also using a third party plastic tank

looking at it logical.. 

- it prints disks on the FEP every time - so the pattern is being exposed underneath.
- the plate isnt touching the print. - but dry runs prove it is at paper holding position on the z-axis
- the plate isnt accepting a print - too smooth? - currently stock state as delivered 
- the resin isnt right? Ive tried two.
- initial exposure time should be longer? - currently stock time as delivered on thumbdrive

Help! this is driving me nuts

Mark
(01-14-2020, 02:25 PM)Bigmds Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 08:40 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: did you the "dry run" test? is z-axis moving up during the print time?
yes the plate initially lowers on the z-axis (cant move paper sheet) , raised, lowers again (but the papersheet is now stiff but moveable), raised etc

Tonight's test print, I used silicon lube on the FEP.  Failed again - disks on the FEP once more.

why wont it print onto the print plate. I am only printing the example rooks straight from the memory stick.

I am using Elegoo photopolymer resin, UV wavelength 405nm,  made 2019/07/22, at room temperature 22'C

I am test printing on the stock tank with original FEP and also using a third party plastic tank

looking at it logical.. 

- it prints disks on the FEP every time - so the pattern is being exposed underneath.
- the plate isnt touching the print. - but dry runs prove it is at paper holding position on the z-axis
- the plate isnt accepting a print - too smooth? - currently stock state as delivered 
- initial exposure time should be longer? - currently stock time as delivered on thumbdrive

Mark
What are you using to clean your plate? I only ask because I have had a couple failed prints due to what I believe was a somewhat dirty plate. I started using Mean Green and while I like that for the basic clean, I prefer isopropyl for a final clean. Just a thought.
(01-14-2020, 03:14 PM)The_Resinator Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 02:25 PM)Bigmds Wrote:

looking at it logical.. 

Mark
What are you using to clean your plate? I only ask because I have had a couple failed prints due to what I believe was a somewhat dirty plate. I started using Mean Green and while I like that for the basic clean, I prefer isopropyl for a final clean. Just a thought.
Thanks Resinator

My plate is cleaned with 99.9% IPA

I was cleaning my tanks for todays tests (yesterday I used silicon lube on the FEP)

The rook print started, Ive got a a fatter disk on the FEP of about 4mm 

Today I was going to move away from the rook and try a few supports with less initial mass area on the FEP

first I was going to closely examine the print plate to ensure its completely flat..

Any better suggestions?

Mark