Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sticky yet ?
Hello all,

Newbie and happy yet, I wonder if the Elegoo standard resin cure is possible thru some days and some tries under UV lamps ?

My 2 test tours of my first try of this so cute printer are yet sticky both, despite 2 days behind the sunny windows for one and some "nails UV lamps" and "UV projector" tries for both.

Well, I would like to understand why, even if I know I have not cleaned enough each of the tours after the print (just few seconds in the IPA, not enough I know).
Since that, I have cleaned more with some brushes, and UV exposure, but still sticky a bit alas...

What could be a good thing to do, to obtain finally a good polymerization ?

BTW I do not understand why the uncured resin does not cure anymore under the UV exposure.
What happens in fact ? I thought the print uncured resin could cure under UV, even if it is not wanted because not printed... Am I wrong ?

Please help me to understand where I'm wrong.

Cordially,
Guy
Hello all, 
some update for those with the same question as me, I found this on Prusa website, which reassure me a bit :

<< Curing the model without a strong UV light source can take a long time. One of the common practices is to place the model in direct sunlight for an extended period of time (ie. 24/48 hours) depending on the intensity of sunlight. >>

Hope this will help some folks Smile
Cordially,
Guy
(02-06-2020, 02:25 AM)Alomphega Wrote: Hello all, 
some update for those with the same question as me, I found this on Prusa website, which reassure me a bit :

<< Curing the model without a strong UV light source can take a long time. One of the common practices is to place the model in direct sunlight for an extended period of time (ie. 24/48 hours) depending on the intensity of sunlight. >>

Hope this will help some folks Smile
Cordially,
Guy

In my humble experience I can say that 24/48h under a bright and nice sun... does the trick to avoid stickiness.
(02-05-2020, 11:53 AM)Alomphega Wrote: Hello all,

Newbie and happy yet, I wonder if the Elegoo standard resin cure is possible thru some days and some tries under UV lamps ?

My 2 test tours of my first try of this so cute printer are yet sticky both, despite 2 days behind the sunny windows for one and some "nails UV lamps" and "UV projector" tries for both.

Well, I would like to understand why, even if I know I have not cleaned enough each of the tours after the print (just few seconds in the IPA, not enough I know).
Since that, I have cleaned more with some brushes, and UV exposure, but still sticky a bit alas...

What could be a good thing to do, to obtain finally a good polymerization ?

BTW I do not understand why the uncured resin does not cure anymore under the UV exposure.
What happens in fact ? I thought the print uncured resin could cure under UV, even if it is not wanted because not printed... Am I wrong ?

Please help me to understand where I'm wrong.

Cordially,
Guy

So I had this issue a lot with my first prints but keeping the room I print in over 73 degrees and a bit of extra cleaning befor curing fixed it apparently room temp is a big issue with resin prints
Some things that will dramatically improve your results:

Normal window glass blocks a lot of UV light. Don't rely on it to let enough through to cure. The nail lamp is the way to go, perhaps the projector too if it's 405nm.

The biggest thing to do though: Always submerge your part under water to cure. Oxygen stops the curing process, and the water removes the oxygen allowing the part to cure. This can take a print from failing to fully cure after multiple hours directly under a power UV lamp, to finished curing in literally a few minutes.

Warning: Do NOT submerge in water if you are using water washable resin.