Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any way to unlock advertised build area?
Hello Elegoo User's Forum Members,

I discovered that the full advertised build area is not available on the mars. When I emailed elegoo support I received the following:

Sent: Friday, November 01, 2019 6:11 AM
Subject: Re:RE: missing 2mm in y axis
Hello
Thanks for your contact and purchasing Elegoo products.
I am sorry for the late reply.
Please don't worry ,we will try our best to help you solve the problem.
Because the 2k lcd screen display area we use is 120.96 x 68.04 software is written according to this parameter.
In actual use, in order to ensure that the printed parts are not problematic, it is the best effect in the size range of 115 x 65.
Our propaganda has certain mistakes and is our problem. We will correct in time.
Many thanks for your cooperation and understand.
Should you have any questions or problems, please feel free to contact us.
Best Regards

I removed my personal info from the email.

Does anyone know how to unlock the full build area? or point me to some documentation on how the firmware works?

I understand that performance may be poorer at the edges but I am willing to mess around with the settings to try that out. I have a bunch of 67mm round parts and it would be much nicer to print them flat on the platform to avoid supports.
There is no way to "unlock" the whole area without a hardware mode (a non-trivial one). See [1]. There is a flange in the base plate on top of which the display sits all over the display hole circumstance. This flange is 2.5mm wide and shadows a part of the display. You could mill away the flange on the longer sides and leave it only the shorter one. However, it requires some hard skills.

[1] https://photos.app.goo.gl/UcBRdh6bW1fHFfke8
Ah that makes perfect sense! I can make that modification the next time I have to replace my screen. I was worried that I would have to flash the control board with a different/unavailable firmware. Do you happen to know if all 5.5in MSLA printers do this or is it only on the mars?
No idea if the other printers do the same, but I think they do - Mars is the only one with a glass underneath, so the others have to fix the LCD the base plate somehow. And the LCD has very small borders - on the sides, it is less than 0.5 mm.
(02-07-2020, 12:15 AM)yaqwsx Wrote: There is no way to "unlock" the whole area without a hardware mode (a non-trivial one). See [1]. There is a flange in the base plate on top of which the display sits all over the display hole circumstance. This flange is 2.5mm wide and shadows a part of the display. You could mill away the flange on the longer sides and leave it only the shorter one. However, it requires some hard skills.

[1] https://photos.app.goo.gl/UcBRdh6bW1fHFfke8

That's actually not the source of the issue. The opening there is the same size as the LCD, plus the thick glass above it would allow a lot of light to still reach the edges of the LCD.

The actual issue is the black border on the glass cover. The black paint is not on the very bottom, but rather on the underside of the glass which has a plastic backing. My guess is due to this, and possible slight misalignment of the LCD, the border needed to overhang a little to make sure no light leaks around the outer edge.

Theoretically, you could remove the glass cover, remove the plastic sheet and scrape off the black coating. Then, reassemble everything ( and add some sort of other light block like aluminum tape or paint of your own. ) and you should get the extra little area back.

This is all quite risky though. I would just recommend setting the build area offset to 2mm on all sides.