Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how stinky is resin
I am wondering, how stink is the resin that is most often used, as i don't want to upset my wife when she is upstairs. i don't have a mars yet but i really want one just the smell is a big factor if i can get one.
depends on:
- manufacturer
- personal sense
- airflow

most smell at my "production line" comes from IPA, when washing the printed parts
(02-14-2020, 06:58 AM)chris1656 Wrote: I am wondering, how stink is the resin that is most often used, as i don't want to upset my wife when she is upstairs. i don't have a mars yet but i really want one just the smell is a big factor if i can get one.
I find that the smell is not very strong or objectionable, but I wouldn't want to be in the same room for hours at a time.  I have my Mars in a heated/air conditioned out-building.  I can always smell the resin when I enter the building.  I leave resin in the vat in position in the Mars with a non-airtight cover and the  Mars cover over that.  My IPA rinse tank is kept sealed.  One day I cleaned up some spilled resin with a paper towel and left it in an open trash can.  My wife nearly kicked me out when she went out there and found the odor unacceptable.  Since then, I keep a cover on the trash can.  If I had to have the Mars in the house, I would want it in a room where I could close the door and open a window for ventilation.  So far, I have only used the Elegoo resins, mostly gray.
(02-14-2020, 06:58 AM)chris1656 Wrote: I am wondering, how stink is the resin that is most often used, as i don't want to upset my wife when she is upstairs. i don't have a mars yet but i really want one just the smell is a big factor if i can get one.
I personally find the standard resins to be very unpleasant smelling, and breathing the fumes is discouraged.  The printer comes with several activated charcoal masks to wear when working with the resin.  If your living space is small and/or adequate ventilation is not feasible, you might have a problem.  If you can have a window open with an exhaust fan, it should not be an issue.   I have my printer in one room of the house, and while it will make that room somewhat unpleasant while printing, it is not noticeable in the reset of the house.
I have seen that there are plant-based resins that are supposed to be very low odor.  I have not used any myself yet, but I will be ordering some.
The resin's I've tried, mostly Elegoo Resins, Sunlu, Siraya Tech are not bad.  The Water Washable Elegoo resin are not bad at all to me.  The Elegoo ABS-Like v2.0 resin is more noticeable but still not really that bad.  Sunlu is also not so bad.  Siraya Tech while more of an unpleasant smell still isn't bad to me.  However my wife complains about the smells regardless and I'm the one with the better sense of smell.  I guess I can just tolerate them more.  I did end up getting an enclosure for my printer for the smell as well as to be able to keep it at a higher temp.