Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dipping my toes in
I just got my Mars. I’m not sure why I bought one other than I just can’t believe you can buy this kind of tech for $230 (yea, I know, the extras drive the price up). 

The amount of info on this subject is overwhelming. So far this forum has been helpful. I’ve only done 2 builds so far, both of the Elegoo rooks. The first one was smooshed because I had not tighten my build plate enough. Once I figured out you really have to honk down on those set screws the plate stayed in place and the second build was pretty successful. I popped the first rook off with now problem by hand. The second one cracked due to the way I was holding it. I washed them in a pickle bucket with IPA and then put them under a UV light I bought from amazon. Even after curing under that light for a while there are parts that are still shiny/sticky. Maybe I did not clean it well enough? Don’t know why the light didn’t finish the curing. I also noticed like a white powder or flakiness in some areas. Maybe too much UV?

I watched several build videos of the rook. Stock, without modification the build in the videos was predicted to be about 3-1/2 hours, but ended up being under 3 hours. My builds predicted 4 hours 10 minutes, and ended up being a bit longer than that. As far as I can tell I’m using the same settings as in the video. 

Right now I’m printing my first download from thingverse, the Robot from Forbidden Planet. I scaled it to 50% of the original height and added supports in Chitubox. The program seems pretty straight forward once you see a few videos on it (I’ve been watching 3D Printfarm). If this print is successful I’d like to clone it and build two or three at a time (I assume there is a clone feature in Chitubox?). I also want to experiment in hollowing it out. I have not found a “undo” feature in Chitubox. Is there one?

Anyway, lots of fun here. My goal is to get good enough to be able to teach my 11 year old how to make things (I’m sure it wont be too long before she’s showing me how things work).