Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print with a cracked LCD?
I managed to crack my new LCD. Can I still use the printer while I wait for a replacement? What’s the worst that can happen besides a bad print?
i see two "worst cases":
- the cracked screen is doing a shortcut and graphic chip/display driver on the mainboard is blowing up
- some parts are falling down the mirror funnel to the UV-Led's
but that are the really worst cases

did you do the exposure test? how does it look (picture)?
(02-17-2020, 09:37 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: i see two "worst cases":
- the cracked screen is doing a shortcut and graphic chip/display driver on the mainboard is blowing up

Just did the exposure test. It looked fine. Except for the big crack  Tongue
would be nice, to see a testprint with clear resin, placed on the cracked area  Big Grin
(just for the community, to see the result)
If you are from Europe, would you consider donating the cracked screen for further research on the topic of monochromatic LCDs (https://blog.honzamrazek.cz/2020/02/maki...onochrome/)?
(02-17-2020, 07:44 PM)Jondrew55 Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 09:37 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: i see two "worst cases":

Just did the exposure test. It looked fine. Except for the big crack  Tongue

If the exposure test was fine, you didn't crack the LCD. There's a glass cover over the top of the LCD which can crack without damaging the actual panel.

Now, this likely doesn't change much, but if you're careful and a bit lucky it might. You could carefully separate the cover from the LCD, and just replace that for around $8 instead of $24 or so for the LCD with the cover. Note though that I failed at this myself and cracked my screen.
I cracked the glass on my Elegoo Mars a couple of months ago and I do not see any negative impacts on my prints.  If it doesn't affect your prints, I say use it until it stops working.
i thought the crack will give some "diffusion" of the UV-light and the print would not be so clear and with sharp borders
One more danger, edge of the crack might break the FEP film. I'd definitely make sure it looks flat.

I might consider adding some thin tape over the cracked part too.
I've been printing with the cracked glass for about 6 months now with no problem except :  A few weeks ago I dripped some resin on the glass and before I cleaned it up it seeped through the glass and formed a 10 mm diameter spot on the underside of the glass.  I went to Amazon to order a new LCD, but they were out of stock.  I have since ordered one, but I am still waiting on delivery.  I have mapped the location of the resin spot (which permanently blocks out the UV light) so that I can avoid that area of the build plate.  I don't plan to change the LCD until I need to print something that cannot print around the dead zone.