Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single "CLICK" noise when Homing/Printing
I've got a "CLICK" coming from the motor housing area on my Saturn every time it contacts the LCD screen to print a layer. It's not a continuous clicking noise, just one click, but rather loud. And it happens just during the base layers print, maybe thru the first 5% of the job. I've tightend up all visible screws (found a lot where loose) relating to the Z-axis with no impact. What now?
Might be just the first layer peel ? It does then to be the loudest snap sound.
No it's happening as the bed goes down and makes contact with the LCD and film, not as it's rising. Also, it's more like a mechanical click as apposed to the pop of the layer releasing from the FEP.
The platen is not properly aligned (so-called "leveling"¹)--do it again...

¹ - The process of aligning the platen with the LCD shutter is often and incorrectly called "leveling", though it is NOT, no reference tool  (I.e. a "level") is used, nor is anything adjusted to be perpendicular to the force of gravity. It is just an "alignment" to assure the surface of platen is parallel to the surface of the LCD screen.

"Leveling" is a term carried over from FDM printing where the build plate is leveled.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
For the last few print attempts I've been leveling the bed before each job, so I don't believe that to be the problem.
The click you describe sounds like (no pun intended) there is insufficient clearance between the platen and the FEP/LCD, so when the platen descends the Z-axis worm is pressing it into the LCD causing the stepper motor to "cog" (attempt to turn but "jump").

What process are you using to align the platen? I describe in this post what has worked best for me.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(03-07-2022, 07:37 AM)cliffyk Wrote: The click you describe sounds like (no pun intended) there is insufficient clearance between the platen and the FEP/LCD, so when the platen descends the Z-axis worm is pressing it into the LCD causing the stepper motor to "cog" (attempt to turn but "jump").

What process are you using to align the platen? I describe in this post what has worked best for me.

I'm having a similar problem. At first, the build plate wasn't stopping when it got to the LCD panel. I followed Elegoo's instructions from this support article, which stopped that problem.

Now, when I home the build plate, it clicks once or twice. I've aligned the build plate using 1, 2, and even 3 sheets of regular paper, nothing really seems to stop the click. 

Do I just keep trying to align the build plate with more and more paper, or is there something wrong?