Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New printer - not sticking to platform
I got a new Mars yesterday and I'm having a few teething problems.

Print 1: Test rook. Printed the bottom halves, but top halves weren't there (although didn't error). I think problem was sticky gunge on the z-axis thread causing the platform to get stuck as it went higher. I've cleaned and lubricated it, and I think this is now ok.
Print 2: My own print. I got a 'shadow' on the FEP and no actual print, I think because I didn't realise Chitubox didn't automatically add supports when slicing it.
Print 3: My own print. I put on supports, it definitely showed them on the printer screen. Another 'shadow' on the FEP, this time of the raft. There was a faint trace of the raft on the build platform that caught the light when I cleaned it.

So, I'm thinking:
1. Do I need to change the way I'm levelling/calibrating the platform. It looks like the platform was far enough down to at least touch most of the raft, but maybe not enough. How would I do that? I used thin A4 printer paper so couldn't go much thinner.
2. Do I need to change the exposure time on the bottom layer. I just went with the defaults. It's grey resin, if that makes any difference. I used default settings, which are:
Bottom layer count: 8
Exposure time: 6s
Bottom Exposure Time: 50s

Any help would be great - I'd like to avoid another 2 hour failure if possible.
what resin are you using? I had similar issues on my first handful of prints with elegoo standard transparent. I bumped the exposure time way up to 18 seconds based on some googling about that specific resin, and raised the lift distance to 10mm. It hasn't failed a print since, but they do take forever with the 18 second layer exposure. I haven't had time to try dropping it to see where the sweet spot is.
(03-26-2020, 10:55 PM)mattk Wrote: what resin are you using? I had similar issues on my first handful of prints with elegoo standard transparent. I bumped the exposure time way up to 18 seconds based on some googling about that specific resin, and raised the lift distance to 10mm. It hasn't failed a print since, but they do take forever with the 18 second layer exposure. I haven't had time to try dropping it to see where the sweet spot is.

Thanks - it was Elegoo brand grey. I know black and transparent can be a problem. I've got other problems now - namely I spilt some resin on to the top of the printer, it started dripping in through the motor hole. In a bit of a panic, I took the top off and tore the LCD screen ribbon. It is currently impossible to source a replacement screen in the UK. Also I need isopropyl alcohol, but because of people wanting to make hand sanitiser, that is also only available at extortionate prices, mostly from sellers who appear to have almost no positive eBay feedback (and so are probably scammers). I think my printing is on indefinite hold...

When I do, I'm going to try increasing the base layer exposure times a bit, putting a smear of WD40 on the FEP film, and when levelling the platform pulling on the A4 paper to check that it is difficult but not impossible to pull out.
ah, that is a bummer. For what it's worth, here in eastern Washington state you can still find plenty of isopropyl in the paint section of hardware stores, or sold as fuel alcohol for camp stoves.

I have a couple of FEP sheets and some non-clear resins on order, but as you say, it may be a while before they get here so I'm trying REALLY hard not to mess up the FEP...