Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25mm fan + active charcoal filter + higher leveling feet
Hello,

This thread will describe how to change the original 15mm fan for a 25mm, which is quieter, add an active charcoal filter for the smell that passes through the 0 level captor, and higher feet. This is the first mod I made for my Mars. All my changes are not definitive. Modding your printer is your responsibility. Guarantee may be cancelled by mods.

Parts for the mod :

1 Fan 80x80x15. Personnaly, I choose a Noctua 80 Redux, which have a better CFM than original, and much quieter (17dcb vs 30dcb)
4 inox screws Din 912 M3x60
4 leveling feet M6 with minimum 45mm screw
1 active charcoal filter, height 5mm, 77x77mm
1 filter support in two parts and 4 25mm spacers for the feet (Thingiverse download link). You can adpat height according your needs.

You can find all this stuff searching on Amazon or Ebay.

Steps : 

1 : Remove the front and rear covers from the printer. Take care to disconnect the LCD cable from the front cover.

2: Disconnect the fan from the green connectors block.

3: Unscrew and remove the original fan (screw under the printer) while maintaining the LED pyramid
under the printing LCD. The edges of the pyramid are sharp, and if the pyramid is not maintained, the printing LCD cable can be cut.

4: Place the fan under the printer, and slide the cable into the printer. The cable must be located on the motherboard side, towards the front of the printer. Pay attention to the airflow direction, the air must be extract, not blown into the printer. The filter must be placed in place of the old one fan. It is the same thickness. The fan cable slides into the notch on the bottom of the filter and should not touch the fan blades. The LED pyramid heater is place above the filter, as the original fan. Then just put back the grid under the fan and tighten everything with the m3x60 screws.
If you have trouble holding the parts during assembly, you can slightly engage the m3x60 screw to hold the fan, its grille, the filter and the radiator.
The whole should look like this:

5 : Connect the cable of the new fan to the green plug, (important !!: red on the left, black on right, otherwise the fan will not spin, and it will not like reversed polarity), then
put the plug back on the connectors block. You can cut the cable to the length needed to go to the connectors block passing under the motherboard.

6: Refit the printer covers. Do not forget to reconnect the control LCD.

7 : Replace the old feet with the new ones, having previously installed the 25mm spacers. These allow you to have enough space under the fan to properly evacuate the
heat. You can adapt their height before print it, depends of which height you prefer.

8 : Enjoy!

Nice mod, thanks for sharing with us
(05-03-2020, 04:24 AM)Icebox2 Wrote: Nice mod, thanks for sharing with us

My pleasure. Feel free to ask if any questions.
I have a question, since the fan does not blow - rather, pull air into the system. What would be the purpose of installing a different fan? I toyed with the idea of re-fitting a 120cm fan to pull more air in at a slower speed thus removing a lot of the noise. But, are you actively changing the direction of the airflow? If so, why?
(05-28-2020, 12:00 PM)IllDante Wrote: I have a question, since the fan does not blow - rather, pull air into the system. What would be the purpose of installing a different fan? I toyed with the idea of re-fitting a 120cm fan to pull more air in at a slower speed thus removing a lot of the noise. But, are you actively changing the direction of the airflow? If so, why?

Changing the airflow way is not a good idea. If you do so, you'll need to create/adapt an other fan system to extract the hot air, maybe from the behind of the Mars. Without filtering it, you'll push dusts and other little things in the led system, and hot air will continue to warm the screen. It will be an invasive mod. You can install a 120mm fan with an 80>120 adapter, but the adapter will be under the machine, the fan too, so you'll have to raise more the machine than my mod. The best compromised is the 80x25mm for me. Less noise, better cfm without filter, and substantially equal with the filter.
Well aware of the adverse effects of changing airflow in a pull system - sure. But, I was asking you - since you installed a filter system, charcoal specifically - why? If the system is not exhausting anything then there is no reason to filter it?
(05-29-2020, 02:25 PM)IllDante Wrote: Well aware of the adverse effects of changing airflow in a pull system - sure. But, I was asking you - since you installed a filter system, charcoal specifically - why? If the system is not exhausting anything then there is no reason to filter it?

Air is sucked from the resin chamber through the 0 level captor hole and the small screen gap. The filter reduces smells before being extracted by the fan under the printer.