Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEP Film Alternative
FEP film is quite expensive.

Is there an alternative? 
Has anyone looked into this?

For example, is PET film a possible alternative?
i am still using the original FEP, but you can try it out with PET and tell us the result. There is a video on YT for using laminating foil.
(05-16-2020, 09:52 AM)fromFDMtoSLA Wrote: i am still using the original FEP, but you can try it out with PET and tell us the result. There is a video on YT for using laminating foil.
Yes. That is what brought this to mind. I have tried the technique. At first, all was ok. But after a few prints, the laminate foil has a tacky side which got cloudy/dirty and results were poor. I am now buying a few sheets of clear PET and I will let this forum know the results. Meanwhile is there a materials person out there who knows why FEP was chosen over PET?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorinate..._propylene
There isn`t just any alternative to FEP.
In the 1st place all the people who developed this technique surly would have choosen different if there was something suitable and cheaper.
In comparison to resins and other material needed for cleaning and curing I wouldn`t exactly say those films are expensive.
3D-printing as such just isn`t something you get for naught.
If I want to spare money as a hobby I would rather observe the wallpaint while drying-off....