Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing Problems
Photo 
I have had my Mars printer for about 5-6 weeks and after some early problems got quite a few good prints using Elegoo red, green and white resins.  I changed the FEP film a couple of weeks ago - SLA beginner being too rough with it and have been trying the grey resin with poor results.

I decided to go back to basics - re-leveled the bed (again) and printed the test rook successfully.  My Ryobi 18V tool holder that I have printed well on my old FDM machine however was a challenge even with supports.  Because of its length I positioned it vertically on the platform which resulted in horizontal steps in the print.  Almost as if a slip occurred in the G-code in about 4 places.  I then tried the Haunted Horseman which had lots of support and it appeared to do something really wacky with the base of the figurine almost as if it stuck to the film then released and stuck to the supports - totally weird.  I am going to try the same figure in a transparent resin to see if I have the same issues.

Anyone ever get similar issues or have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

What support structure did you used with the Ryobi thingy? Can you post the .ctb or .clbdlp file you used.?

What exposure times are you using? Is that Elegoo's gray resin?

Sorry about all the questions, however they are things that need to be known to sort this out...

Thanks for the response Cliffyk.  I tried to attach the Chitubox file but it was two large - so just took a snapshot off of Chitubox instead - note I did have to trim out a few autosupports as the feet were off the platform and were showing as red.
However since I have printed the haunted horsemen again in Elegoo yellow resin (really a bit orange!) and it came out perfectly.  I also went back and tried the Ryobi file in Elegoo white.  Again not perfect but much better than the grey resin.  I think this model is so close to the boundaries of the platform and is also tall and slender and I think it is never going to be perfect on the Mars format.
My lessons learned is use this bottle of grey only for very unchallenging models like the test piece rook from Elegoo.
In my limited experience (only since December 18 of last year) I have not been impressed with ANY gray resin--I have used Elegoo, Longer, Anycubic, Nova3D, Sing Shine and a couple others. 

The best I have found is Phrozen's Beige Flex; it is kind of pricey and can be hard to find, but it prints very well and is quite flexible without the staggering brittleness of the cheap "ABS-like" resins.

Stay away from any of the bargain priced "rapid" resins--they are universally brittle to the point of being worthless however the gray seems across-the-board especially prone to cracking. In fact my initial enthusiasm for resin based SLA printing has been considerably dampened by the physical characteristics of finished products requiring any level of flexibility and resilience.
I have had a similar experience with Grey ABS resin too. I put it down to hollowing out my model and having a too thin a wall thickness, compounded by having to have the print on an incline. The next one I print will be solid, and I'll report back.