Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Res Print for comments
Greetings, still quite new to resin printing but seem to be getting great results with my Elegoo Mars.

I've attached a couple of images of one of my latest prints done tonight for comment and review to see if there is any where for improvement, changes or if I've actually got my settings right. Of the 12 prints done thus far, I've only had the one failure due to my supports having been too weak and the model pulled off the supports (stuck to the plate though) and luckily it was a wide enough splatch that no damage was caused to the FEP or LCD screen..

Using Elegoo Stardard gray resin in the printer that was sitting in a heated box (Though it's July, it's still cold out here, 18'C) I have the enclosure heated at 25'C constant, with the resin at the same temp when print started though it was higher when finished..

I have my Chitubox settings set at 7s exposure time, Bottom Exposure Time 65s, Lift Distance 5s, Lift Speed and Retract Speed both at 300mm/min with the layer height set at .050mm  These are the settings I have been using all this time which seem to be working well for me.

However, I'm wondering if my LIFT and RETRACT speeds are too big? Should they be reduced, and if so, by how much? I am not sure if this large number of 300mm/min is pulling too fast and too hard on the FEP while a smaller number would provide a gentler pull to reduce the suction / tear away effect from the FEP? Or is 300 a gentle pull? or the other way around? Maybe confused how that's supposed to work.

Again, with the naked eye, this model looks good, but after taking these pics I can see more detail such as the texture on her coat, the broach at her throat.. wow, to me that's impressive detail..

But the bust has this dusty look on it, like small dried resin debris on it.. I've rinsed and wiped it but it still seems to linger on, not very visible to the naked eye but shows up well in photos. Not sure how to clean all of that off, or is that normal and will go away when painted or primed?

Here's what I do for post processing, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or could do something better...

I do the initial spay down with 99% IPA to knock off the first layer of resin, followed by a swish through some diluted Simple Green, followed with gentle soft toothbrush cleaning with the same solution, and then a clean water rinse. I then put the model into my US cleaner that has some Simple Green in a bag that is then dunked into warm water in the tank, let it run for about 5 minutes or so. (with the cleaner in the bag and not in the tank, it allows me to save on the amount of cleaner used, and when the bag solution gets saturated, I can close the bag, sit it out in the sun to harden the suspended resin particles for safer cleanup and re-use of the cleaner, I run it through a paint strainer and toss that out...)

When I take the model out of the cleaner, the supports all but fall off the model with minimal damage. There is not a lot of support damage that needs to be cleaned up this way. A few snips of some left over support material and maybe a few divots here and there to be filled in with some resin before putting the model into the curing box...

There is no sanding done on this model, just a little straight edge blade scraping to knock off some of the support nubs left behind..

Again, any comments, suggestions, advice as to what I could change, need to change or stay the same would be greatly appreciated. This is a great learning process, one that I am enjoying more than I thought I would.

Cheers!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)