Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mars Pro WILL NOT ZERO - HELP !
Machine doesn't seem to work.

It doesn't seem to memorize the zero position.

I followed the instruction to the letter.
- Calibrated the head position with a sheet of paper as described in the manual. Slight resistance.
- Switched menu, set Z=0
- checked the LCD
- filled the vat.
- tried to print.
Exactly as per the manual.

When I hit play, the machine buzzes loudly. The stepper motor is jamming against the FEP film and the LCD.
I hit stop (square).
I incremented the height gradually.

The platform was soaked so I could not re-zero it.
I slacked the vat screws, then lifted the head by increment of 0.1mm, trying delicately to move the vat.
When it started to budge lightly, I gave it another 0.1mm in height.
Just as I did with the paper.
I essentially performed the zero clearance adjustment with the wet FEP film with a full vat.
I'm sure it not exactly "recommended procedure". Undecided

I went in the previous menu, selected Z=0, clicked the confirm menu again.
Returned to the previous vertical movement menu, tried to hit the Home button.
It went down and buzzed again, stepper blocking against the FEP/LCD

I redid Z=0, and tried to launch printing. Same problem.

It's as if the system does not remember the zero calibration.

I read on the forum that there is a limit switch. What's the use of the Z=0 procedure if there's a hardware limit switch (which doesn't kick in, because the stepper keeps buzzing/vibratin/skipping steps)

Hopefully, I didn't bust the LCD. I have a few spare films.

The instruction manual is very poorly writen. There are also options in the menu not described anywhere.

The hardware is well made, the documentation is piss-poor.

The platform doesn't align symetrically on the LCD, there's about 2mm clearance on the proximal edge, and 6mm on the distal edge.

Shall I return it under my Amazon Prime privilege and buy another brand ?

Is there a fix, an undocumented feature ?

I'm a machine and instrumentation designer, I know my way inside machines. But I'm loathe to pay out of my own time for a machine that should have worked out of the box...

The HOME feature is UNDOCUMENTED - I don't know what it does, I only presume. The Clean option is undocumented too.
Follow the alignment procedure in the manual's Unbox and Test section--to the letter; I.e. Do not use the "Z=0" function it is unrelated to initial setup of the printer.

See. my posts here and here for more about what "Z=0" does and when/why to use it.

I am curious as to what led you to use the "Z=0" function, as stayed above there is no reference to it in the 7/22/2019 version of the User's Manual?
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
I just unboxed my Mars Pro and am experiencing basically the same issue.  During the setup and test the paper is VERY tight.  I raise it by .1mm as instructed in the manual which is enough.  I then use the "Set Z=0", as instructed in the manual.  I then repeat the entire process and it's obvious nothing has changed. The paper is extremely hard to pull out once again.  Of course the manual says to click "Move Z axis to Zero", and since their is no control labeled as such, I assume they mean click the home button. Is that assumption incorrect?  Perhaps the z-axis adjustment is only applied at print time?  To the previous poster that mentioned that the Set Z=0 control is not part of the setup process in a previous version of the manual, here is the manual that came with mine.

(08-16-2020, 07:32 AM)szurlo Wrote: I just unboxed my Mars Pro and am experiencing basically the same issue.  During the setup and test the paper is VERY tight.  I raise it by .1mm as instructed in the manual which is enough.  I then use the "Set Z=0", as instructed in the manual.  I then repeat the entire process and it's obvious nothing has changed. The paper is extremely hard to pull out once again.  Of course the manual says to click "Move Z axis to Zero", and since their is no control labeled as such, I assume they mean click the home button. Is that assumption incorrect?  Perhaps the z-axis adjustment is only applied at print time?  To the previous poster that mentioned that the Set Z=0 control is not part of the setup process in a previous version of the manual, here is the manual that came with mine.

The "Home" button will always (regardless to any application of the "Z=0" function) move the Z-axis trolley to the same point--that being the furthest downward allowed by the optical limit switch. This is the hardware controlled "zero" position.

Setting the "Z=0" position sets a logical "zero" position that can be attained only via G-Code commands. It does not alter the hardware controlled "zero" position.

Did you not read, or not understand my post here...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
I read it, but since the setup process in my manual differs significantly from yours, I wasn't sure if your observations necessarily applied to the hardware version/firmware version that I have.
(08-16-2020, 07:57 AM)szurlo Wrote: I read it, but since the setup process in my manual differs significantly from yours, I wasn't sure if your observations necessarily applied to the hardware version/firmware version that I have.

That the "Z=0" function sets a "logical" zero is the same, that position is only attained when printing and the G-Code commands a move to position "zero". The "Home" button will always move the trolley to the limit switch controlled absolute zero position...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
(08-16-2020, 09:57 AM)cliffyk Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 07:57 AM)szurlo Wrote: I read it, but since the setup process in my manual differs significantly from yours, I wasn't sure if your observations necessarily applied to the hardware version/firmware version that I have.

That the "Z=0" function sets a "logical" zero is the same, that position is only attained when printing and the G-Code commands a move to position "zero". The "Home" button will always move the trolley to the limit switch controlled absolute zero position...

Well I have the same issue with a brand new printer as the other guys. And if I understand you right, there should be a sensor which stops the rail when I hit the "home button" in the manual setting. But then that sensor doesn't seem to work because my printer makes the exact same grinding sound from hitting the home button.
With the platen assembly removed does pressing the "Home" button tesult in the trolley falling to a low point, then rising a bit and next falling a tad?

If so there's nothing wrong with the limit sensor, the problem has to be in the platen's assembly and/or adjustment.

With the resin vat removed, platen locking screws loosened and a sheet of paper on the LCD, press the "Home" button--what happens? If downward motion stops with no cogging (grinding) of the stepper motor it would appear the platen was not properly adjusted.

Can you post the Mars Pro alignment instructions, I have not seen them as the manual does not appear to be on the web?
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
(08-21-2020, 11:47 AM)Pete_R Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 09:57 AM)cliffyk Wrote:

Well I have the same issue with a brand new printer as the other guys. And if I understand you right, there should be a sensor which stops the rail when I hit the "home button" in the manual setting. But then that sensor doesn't seem to work because my printer makes the exact same grinding sound from hitting the home button.

Hi guys,

idem for me, printer works fine for a while, and now Z want to go under screen, sensor led gone done but nothing else happen
I have the same problem with my mars 2 pro.... grinding... no printing... no way to set Z=0 to make it work... follow the instructons step by step...

this setting are not fun and not user friendly...
( desparation and thumble weed rolling in the desert )