Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resin additives for increasing performances of standard resins ?
I'm very new to 3D print with photopolymers, I have not finish my first 1 kg bottle of Elegoo standard grey resin while I'm using a Zortrax M200 FDM printer since 4 years now.

In my opinion one of the most interesting possibility offered by LCD printer is the print material.
With FDM printers PLA or ABS are  always PLA and ABS, they can vary a little in quality but you cannot change the behaviour of the printing material.

With LCD printers it is a completely different game.

Each resin has a composition formula and this formula can be altered using different  addittives.

So, two main questions arise.
Which additives ?

Will they work or they finally will interfere with the commercial UV resin ending with a mess ?
It is not easy to answer to both questions.

The synthetics resins industry is a wide world  offering thousands of products,  the same polymer might have very different charateristics  changing the lenght of il molecular chain or adding some addittives to the final product.

In fact without knowing the recipe of the commercial UV resin is like walking in the dark.
The good news is that since a small amount of UV resin is enought to run a test print, making some try with different addittives and amounts will probably take more time than money.

The two main requests regarding standard Uv resin as the Elegoo grey resin are a less brittle resin, possibly stronger .
I read that a majority of users add to the standard UV resin high quality resins  like Siraya Tech resins.
The main drawback of this solution is  cost , considering  that the price of Siraya Tech resins id doubled if you live in Europe.
The cost of addittives even bought in small amounts is much lower so the bet is to find wich addittives will work in improving the charatteristics of standard resins as the Elegoo grey.

So, if you have some experience about that , please share !