Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long File Name Error "Error!File is not existed or empty!"
Hi all,

I've been dealing with an annoying issue on the Elegoo Mars for the past couple months and finally just found the solution.

I kept having an issue where some files would not print and the printer gave the error "Error!File is not existed or empty!" which seemed like a cryptic way of saying the file was corrupted. So, I would format my USB drive and save the file again but with no luck usually.

However, I just found out that the cause of this error has nothing to do with the actual file being corrupted, it's just that the file name is too longUndecided 

I confirmed this by making two copies of the same CBDDLP file and giving one of them a long name. The printer can read and print the short name file just fine but it can't read or print the one with a long name. It won't even load the thumbnail for the long name file, even though it has the exact same thumbnail and contents as the other one.

It seems that the programmers who wrote the Elegoo Mars firmware failed to do any exception handling for long file names, so if your file has a name longer than the variable in the code can store, it overflows and causes the firmware to be unable to find the actual file and read it. This could be easily fixed in the firmware with a simple try/catch block and maybe consider using a larger data type so people can have longer file names. Elegoo, please fix this! At the very least it should give a proper error message like "File name is too long".

Anyway, if you get this "File is not existed or empty!" error in the future, just try making the file name shorter.

Hope this helps some people out there.
-Alterius

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I believe the maximum filename length for FAT32 is the same as NTFS--255 characters. The system loading the files to the FAT32 volume should enforce this, many do not. Linux file managers for example will sometimes allow filenames that are too long and/or have illegal characters ('\', '/', '.', '?', and '*') to be copied to FAT volumes. Windows will often display the files but not open them or allow renaming or even deletion...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Thank you!!!!  Nearly four years after this post, and on a Saturn 2 - after four tries of re-arranging and re-slicing my latest print, i finally googled this stupid error message and found your post.  Just shortened the file name, and it solved my problem!