Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elegoo Washable resin--Useless...
The thought of washing up with water had great appeal, however I find that after final curing the finished product is so brittle as to be worthless for any model having finer details (or even not that fine).

As an example I had planned on printing up a number of "Jack -O Covids" (see photo) for the grandchildren--however once complete i found them so brittle as to be totally unsuitable for anything to be given to a child--even 8-year-olds having brains enough to not eat their toys.

The prints are so brittle that even a good strong look will break off the projecting thingys (I don't know what they are called). 

I have also found that during final curing--be it in sunlight or forced via a 30 W 405 nm LED--any junctures such as that at the Covid's "pods" to body juncture--will develop stress fractures, an almost crystalline structure, causing the models to literally burst apart while being cured.

I will NOT be buying it again.

[Image: CovidPumpkin-02.jpg]
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
YUCK thats awful, ill stick to regular resin and my IPA wash.

Thanks for testing it out Cliffyk!!!
I must note that I was contacted by Elegoo after my less than flattering review on Amazon, they have offered to send me a bottle of resin (my selection) as way of compensation/replacement. That's pretty damned good customer service!
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
Thought I'd provide an update on this crap. Here's a fitting I made for the chlorine injection tank on our water system as it looked on 10/27/2020 when I made it:

[Image: 90DegElbow-00.jpg]

Here it is just 13 days later on 11/09/2020:

[Image: ChlorineEll-88.jpg]

In use it was exposed to sunlight for 4 to 5 hiurs a day, daylight for 9 to 10 hours. The chemical tank holds diluted household bleach (6%), 1 gallon bleach to 14 gallons water--nothing but water passes through this filler elbow. No excessive stress or strain; it just seemed to swell up and explode.

I made another today using the Elegoo standard resin they provided (Elegoo has great "customer is always right" support!!!) after I complained about the water washable junk-I'll report again in a couple weeks.

To tell the truth I am becoming disillusioned in the utility of resin printed mechanical components--when the FDM crowd decries SLA prints as "brittle" and "unreliable" I am becoming convinced they are correct and all we can do is hang our heads in shame--but that's all for a new thread I have planned...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
Update: The elbow adapter I made with the plain ol' IPA cleanup standard resin looks just fine after 22 days of identical service...

[update 01/28/2021] 2 months and 10 days service and the IPA resin version of the elbow is still going strong...
[/update]
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com