Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scaling?
Ok, So I just got started and have a few successful prints done, but so far all of them have been a single piece (a bust or a figure that has been scaled to the size of my build plate). I'd like to try something different now and selected a more complex piece that has several parts. How do I ensure that all the separate parts will fit correctly when printed separately? Is it as simple as setting them all to the same reduced size (say 100% to 75% to fit on the plate) or am I missing something?

Thanks for any /all responses & assistance!
(01-07-2021, 02:52 PM)Dagotte Wrote: Ok, So I just got started and have a few successful prints done, but so far all of them have been a single piece (a bust or a figure that has been scaled to the size of my build plate). I'd like to try something different now and selected a more complex piece that has several parts. How do I ensure that all the separate parts will fit correctly when printed separately? Is it as simple as setting them all to the same reduced size (say 100% to 75% to fit on the plate) or am I missing something?

Thanks for any /all responses & assistance!

You've got it, assuming they were all created in the same scale.

The .stl file format is a "unit-less" format--all it knows is that a dimension of "1" is consistent throughout the file--"1 what?" it does not know.

Most (maybe all?) software that reads .stl files seem to assume it means 1 mm, as does Chitubox. However be prepared to do some "fiddling" as the SLA process with hobbyist level printers like ours is not that precise.

I have found that as a "rule of thumb" male things (posts, pins, shafts, etc.) need to be scaled at 1.0 to 1.5% smaller than the female thingy with which they are to mate (no pun intended)...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com