Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
!!! -- Z-AXIS Grinding/Platen Adjustment...
Hello all,

I was checking in at Elegoo's website and ran across this great entry in their FAQ, re: Z-axis adjustment issues.

I had not previously seen it, nor seen reference to it here; so here goes.

The FAQ entry starts with a discussion of the issue (the platen continuing to press on the LCD, and the stepper motor's "cogging" (grinding) when that happens) and then presents three steps to (1) test the limit switch, (2) make certain the firmware default setup is correct and (3) a hardware fix for what is a manufacturing defect, though they do not call it such.

Step 3 will be most valuable to those having ongoing problems with build-plate alignment. It discusses a modification to add spacers between theĀ 
underside of the Z-axis trolley and theĀ  limit switch stopper (the formed steel plate that is the activation "flag" for the Z-axis optical limit switch):

[Image: Z-axisLImitSwitch-00.jpg]

Note that the highlighted text is misleading, stating that the spacers should be placed "between the screws and the limit switch stopper". This is of course incorrect, and would accomplish nothing.--the spacers need tp be placed between the inderside of the trolley and the stopper. The photo at the right (enlarged below) shows proper placement of the spacers:

[Image: Z-axisLImitSwitch-01.jpg]

I have not had this problem with either of my plain ol' Mars printers, however I am certain this will be the fix that will help those plagued by this issue.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com