Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mars 2 Pro - unable to level or set Z=0, loud humm
I just received a Mars 2 Pro, and am having issues with the setup.  After removing the resin tank and placing a piece of paper on the deck, I loosened the screws securing the build platform, went to Tools -> Manual -> Home per instructions.  The deck slowly lowers until it is pressing on the paper, then begins to make a loud humm and vibrate like it is trying to push the platform down further.  From a bit of research, it looks like it is supposed to press down and then lift back up.  I can hit Stop to stop the noise and manually raise the platform until I can pull out the paper (with resistance), select "Set Z=0" from the main menu, but am given a message saying "Home first, then manually adjust Z-axis to the best position".  This appears to be different than the confirmation box I see other people getting.  I am on firmware V4.3.13_LCDC /1620x2560 /F2.23

Anyone have any suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?  I appreciate any help!
I believe I have resolved my issue. At the bottom left of the track that raises the build platform, there is a small optical proximity sensor. A metal plate lowers between the two posts of this sensor when the build platform is as low as it can be. It appears this is what the Mars Pro 2 uses to identify the "Home" position. This sensor is connected to a cable, which leads to a white 3-prong connector plugged into a circuit board behind the front base panel of the printer (behind and to the left of the touch screen). This connector was half-way unplugged. Removing and reconnecting this wire, the printer now behaves more like I was expecting. Attempting my first test print now! Hopefully this helps anyone else that might be experiencing the same issue.
Elegoo's FAQ has an item re: Z-axis problems (see here); "loose cable connector" is not mentioned--but it should be as it seems somewhat commonplace with many of the newer production units; as are other assembly issues. Perhaps they are pushing the final assembly lines too hard...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(01-15-2021, 05:36 PM)cliffyk Wrote: Elegoo's FAQ has an item re: Z-axis problems (see here); "loose cable connector" is not mentioned--but it should be as it seems somewhat commonplace with many of the newer production units; as are other assembly issues. Perhaps they are pushing the final assembly lines too hard...
I'm having an issue where my Mars 2 won't drop all the way into the vat when I go to print, but it does perform exactly like it should when the vat is not present. When the vat is present it drops the platen into the vat part way (mm's above the resin) and then starts humming...should I check the wire mentioned in this thread? If so, how do I go about it?
(07-21-2021, 01:05 PM)ClockworkAether Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 05:36 PM)cliffyk Wrote: Elegoo's FAQ has an item re: Z-axis problems (see here); "loose cable connector" is not mentioned--but it should be as it seems somewhat commonplace with many of the newer production units; as are other assembly issues. Perhaps they are pushing the final assembly lines too hard...
I'm having an issue where my Mars 2 won't drop all the way into the vat when I go to print, but it does perform exactly like it should when the vat is not present. When the vat is present it drops the platen into the vat part way (mm's above the resin) and then starts humming...should I check the wire mentioned in this thread? If so, how do I go about it?
Check your plate isn't touching the side of the vat as it descends - it might be a little bit twisted.