Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacement lid/cover
Shocked 
Hi,

I wanted to thoroughly clean the green lid of my brand new Mars 2 printer, and made the mistake of using IPA.

That was a terrible mistake.

Instead of being clean, the lid is now totally covered with white marks; I can’t even see through it any more  Confused

Does anybody know where I could buy a replacement lid? 

Thanks in advance.
Elegoo (3dp@elegoo.com)?
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(01-20-2021, 12:44 AM)cliffyk Wrote: Elegoo (3dp@elegoo.com)?

Thanks!

I contacted them and they are going to send me a replacement lid. Elegoo's support is awesome!

Happy to be able to print again soon.

And lesson learned the hard way: don't use IPA to clean the lid.
Just curious, how does a cloudy cover prevent printing?

Also, the cloudiness is not directly a result of the IPA's impact on the cover material. The problem is that the IPA only thins out the resin, then evaporates. The cloudiness is residual pigment polymers and and initiators from the resin, "smeared about' via the IPA. Then due to it's being just a very thin layer it gets cured in place by whatever ambient light might be present.

I have had modest success in removing it using automotive finish buffing and polishing compound...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com
(01-22-2021, 09:16 AM)cliffyk Wrote: Just curious, how does a cloudy cover prevent printing?

It doesn't prevent printing, but the lid is now completely opaque. I can't see what's going on inside any more, which is really not convenient to check if the print failed or if there is still resin left in the VAT.

I had no resin on left the lid, and the cloudiness appeared over the entire lid after I cleaned it.
The IPA and/or cleaning cloth must have been contaminated with something--by itself the alcohol should not have affected the acrylic cover. The resin is incredibly invasive--it's fumes leave a film on just about everything in close proximity...
-cliff knight-
paladinmicro.com