Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sticking to resin vat
Is there a secret to keeping the resin from sticking to the bottom of the vat?  My first print did that..then I angled it as was suggested by everything I read and it printed great.  Now I'm trying to print a small model for my wife but it's sticking to the bottom of the vat constantly.  I angled it as you can see in the included image, but it's the raft that's sticking and I can't seem to get it to stop.

Thank you for any insight and help any of you can provide!

One thing I read online is someone saying they used Rain-X on the vat and that stopped resin sticking to the bottom.  But this concerns me, as I don't know what chemical reaction could be had by the resin and the rain-x film and I'm not sure if it could mess up how the resin cures.  Has anyone else done this, has anyone else heard of this?  

I'm all for hacks to fix solutions like this but I'm not looking to damage my vat, ruin my resin or potentially cause a nasty chemical reaction.
(12-28-2020, 11:27 AM)Kaanha Wrote: Is there a secret to keeping the resin from sticking to the bottom of the vat?  
Yep - It's a tug-of-war between the vat film and the build plate. Making the build plate grip better can definitely help but it will be that much harder to get the item off the plate after printing. One thing that I've found indispensable is Wham Bam Also, I and many others have had success with: Teflon Lubricant Put a few drops on the film, spread around and let the solvent evaporate. Then go back in with a soft tissue and spread the stuff around. This will help for several prints - no problems have been reported. I have not tried Rain-X but it may work very well.

But here is another trick that I use, that you might try just before you put the Teflon on: Holding the cleaned vat film up to daylight and looking very carefully, you may see a shadow or a ghost of previous prints. That is a very thin film of cured resin that is stuck there pretty good and will not come off yet provides a great place for subsequent prints to stick. To get it off, try this: Get some heavy duty, clear packing tape. Fold over one edge of a piece to make a part you can grip that won't stick. Make it just short enough to fit on the film and not involve the frame. Wearing gloves to avoid contaminating the film with hand oils and salts, rub the tape into the film and then rip it off. If nothing else, it's very satisfying! Repeat using the same piece of tape, moving around the film, until all the ghosts are gone. Viola! Just add the teflon treatment and go.
Regards -
(12-28-2020, 12:42 PM)Thank you!  That is immensely helpful!Quacker Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 11:27 AM)Kaanha Wrote: Is there a secret to keeping the resin from sticking to the bottom of the vat?  
Yep - It's a tug-of-war between the vat film and the build plate. Making the build plate grip better can definitely help but it will be that much harder to get the item off the plate after printing. One thing that I've found indispensable is Wham Bam Also, I and many others have had success with: Teflon Lubricant Put a few drops on the film, spread around and let the solvent evaporate. Then go back in with a soft tissue and spread the stuff around. This will help for several prints - no problems have been reported. I have not tried Rain-X but it may work very well.

But here is another trick that I use, that you might try just before you put the Teflon on: Holding the cleaned vat film up to daylight and looking very carefully, you may see a shadow or a ghost of previous prints. That is a very thin film of cured resin that is stuck there pretty good and will not come off yet provides a great place for subsequent prints to stick. To get it off, try this: Get some heavy duty, clear packing tape. Fold over one edge of a piece to make a part you can grip that won't stick. Make it just short enough to fit on the film and not involve the frame. Wearing gloves to avoid contaminating the film with hand oils and salts, rub the tape into the film and then rip it off. If nothing else, it's very satisfying! Repeat using the same piece of tape, moving around the film, until all the ghosts are gone. Viola! Just add the teflon treatment and go.
Regards -