Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I may be stirring up a hornet's nest here, but...
Which is your favorite resin - and for what application?

I've been using Elegoo gray as my cheap, "learning" resin, but want to start making functional stuff that doesn't break. 

Seems like for every review I read that says one thing, I read another that says the opposite!
I have been using a 50/50 blend of Siraya Tech Tenacious and cheap gray stuff (I have found brand doesn't matter--cheap gray resin is cheap gray resin) and have had good success printing functional items with same.

For example I made this oil filler extension for my UTV--it screws into the dipstick hole and lets me use a funnel and hose to refill the engine oil). it is quite robust--if made of the cheap gray "ABS-like" garbage it would perhaps survive a single use:

[Image: OilFiller-00.jpg]

Of resin specs i have found "Elongation At Break" (EaB) to be the most significant with regard to making functional items. The Siraya Tenacious has a claimed EaB of 50%. Any resin with an EaB of less than that will be pretty much useless for anything to be loaded, even lightly. I had used Phrozen Functional Flex (rated EaB of 50-60%) with good results, however it seems to be no longer available.

At $65/kilo Tenacious is not cheap, but not all that pricey either--mixed 50/50 with cheap crap ($30 per kilo) comes in at $47.50 a kilo, I can live with that...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com