Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New printer shipped with LCD protective plastic?
Sounds to me as though someone forgot to remove the screen's initial protective layer when yours was originally assembled--and slapped another on top. There should not have been any such thing except the screen below the tape. FWIW, the Mars does not use that perimeter tape to secure the shutter screen (it has very narrow perimeter strips of double-sided tape beneath the LCD shutter--in four screen replacements I have never had to replace them.

[Image: MarsLCDScreen-01.png]
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
SO LAST NIGHT THE SAME THING happened to me! I also used a razor like that we use to clean the ceramic top stove, and sure enough, what i thought was solid glass on the top of the LCD screen developed a tear in it as if it were a thin adhesive plastic film. I had to remove the black vinyl tape from around the border in order to excise the whole of the film.

BUT NOW I AM wondering if I should have done that? I mean, is it possible that film was of some use to the LCD UV light? I could use some feedback on this matter from anyone who has had a similar experience. 

Thank you
(05-30-2021, 11:33 AM)FrenkMelk Wrote: SO LAST NIGHT THE SAME THING happened to me! I also used a razor like that we use to clean the ceramic top stove, and sure enough, what i thought was solid glass on the top of the LCD screen developed a tear in it as if it were a thin adhesive plastic film. I had to remove the black vinyl tape from around the border in order to excise the whole of the film.

BUT NOW I AM wondering if I should have done that? I mean, is it possible that film was of some use to the LCD UV light? I could use some feedback on this matter from anyone who has had a similar experience. 

Thank you

Hey!

Before removing the old screen I did the screen diagnostic to see the "ELEGOO" brand name. It displayed fine. I then placed the ripped up plastic sheet over the old LCD display and rotated it around to see if it changed the image any way. Nothing changed. I didn't try to to a test print because at that time I had not received the sealing tape yet. My original edge tape had been ripped up when I took off this clear plastic. I didn't want to damage the internals in case something went wrong and some resin leaked.

Elegoo was kind enough to send me a brand new LCD screen which includes tape. I installed it (which was super easy) as I needed to print something.
I kept the old screen and ordered two more new back-up screens. I also received the edge sealing tape (5 sets). When / if this new screen craps out, I will quickly install the old screen with sealing tape, but not using any plastic sheet and try and do a print.
(05-30-2021, 11:33 AM)FrenkMelk Wrote: SO LAST NIGHT THE SAME THING happened to me! I also used a razor like that we use to clean the ceramic top stove, and sure enough, what i thought was solid glass on the top of the LCD screen developed a tear in it as if it were a thin adhesive plastic film. I had to remove the black vinyl tape from around the border in order to excise the whole of the film.

Thank you

I've been printing without that film without issues. Still haven't bothered to try the replacement screen or the one that I ordered as backup.