Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
overexposure to the sun
Hi there,
I hope you are doing well

I have an very easy doubt ( I think so) , I printed some helmets, like 2cm high, very tiny, and they were going well.
I exactly repeat them , but these two new helmets looks like they are twisted or squeashed on one side. I cannot explain to myself. But after that I remember that these new 2 helmets were exposed to the sun for a whole day . Could the overexposure to the sun shrink or deform tiny pieces?

thanks a lot.
Yes, absolutely...

The printing process does not fully cure the resin, additional exposure to UV after after printing is essential. I made a curing chamber from an old 0.7 ft³ microwave oven--I took out the magnetron, transformer, capacitor, etc. and installed a 30W 405 nm LED in its place. 40 minutes in this chamber will fully cure any print.

I have found that the less expensive, and water-washable resins are most susceptible to extended exposure to sunlight (the WW resin also deteriorated significantly in strength) even after my post-printing curing. 2-3 hours iin direct sunlight s all you need. For anything (printed with any resin) to be placed in service with continuous daylight exposure I use a UV blocking aerosol primer as used for stabilizing printed documents.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com