Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need to update firmware?
So, I've a "plain" Mars and on the Elegoo site there's the 4.3.4 firmware - "for C motherboards". How do I know if I have a C motherboard - do I need to open 'er up?
The system info says V4.3.1 _LCDF /1440x2560 /F2.12 and the sticker on the base says M10 20190902 C. 

Could that C mean the motherboard?

Thanks in advance!
An M10 series machine is likely to be the type C mobo--but it would be wise to visually confirm that.

the differences are quite distinct:
[Image: MotherboardsABC-ID.jpg]

However Elegoo recommends (if you ask them directly) that you not upgrade from any of the 4.3.x firmware versions unless you are having problems or have been advised by them to do so.  It offers no new functionality and seems to be what is called a "maintenance" release--I.e. an assembly and  recompilation of existing code to assure completeness.

That aside, and with my being the adventurous type, I did upgrade my "M20" unit from 4.3.2 to the 4.3.4 firmware--iinadvertently I loaded the "Pro" version, but did not realize it until a couple weeks later when I noticed the boot-up screen said "Mars Pro".

In those weeks I found no difference in operation or performance other than that the UI was now the trendy dark theme delivered on the Pro. I thought that might be part of the "upgrade", but upon loading the 4.3.4 plain ol' Mars version I was back to the regular lighter Mars theme. Having come to like the trendy theme, I re-loaded the Pro version and have been using it for several months with no issues...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Thanks for the comprehensive answer! I'll pop the hood and have a peek this weekend Smile.