Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print not sticking to build plate
Hi,
I have been using two elegoo mars a bit for my work. I have been using mostly standard elegoo resin with about 50% print success rate. However I just started using peopoly tough resin and some liqcreate strong-x. I can't seem to get either of these resins to stick to build plate. I have tried changing setting in chitubox, put some wd-40 on the FEP, slightly roughed up the build plate and a lot of other stuff. Should I be going about things diffrently with these resins? Also how important is the smoothness of the FEP, mine is a bit scratched up but I would think that it would still print sometimes. I just ordered more FEP film.
My boss wanted me to play around with SLA a bit, so I haven't done that much research.
Thanks,
Will
Sounds strange to me... I have like 99% success rate and I don't think I'm doing anything special...

WD-40 on the FEP is something I don't think is a good idea, but I haven't tried... I would assume it just mixes up with the resin and impacts its curing properties for the worse. Maybe I'm wrong with that though.

Now on the question why you seem to have so little success rate, without seeing your setup I can only guess. Perhaps bad calibration?

When do the prints fall off the build plate? Do they not stick at all to begin with or do they fall off half way through the print?
(07-07-2021, 11:10 AM)mzanetti Wrote: Sounds strange to me... I have like 99% success rate and I don't think I'm doing anything special...

WD-40 on the FEP is something I don't think is a good idea, but I haven't tried... I would assume it just mixes up with the resin and impacts its curing properties for the worse. Maybe I'm wrong with that though.

Now on the question why you seem to have so little success rate, without seeing your setup I can only guess. Perhaps bad calibration?

When do the prints fall off the build plate? Do they not stick at all to begin with or do they fall off half way through the print?
Yeah I usually wait for the wd-40 to dry(as much as possible) on the FEP. I have calibrated several times, by loosening the bed and homing it with a piece of regular paper underneath. I have been trying different resins, all meant to be stronger that standard resin, and when they fail either I just find the first layer in the vat or nothing at all. I am running a print with the regular resin to make sure I can still print with that, that will also tell me my settings for the other resins are the issue.
FWIW, I find ABS-like resin to be softer during printing itself... (Well, it *is* softer which makes it less brittle and so stronger in the end).
So I think standard resin is the easiest to print. Anyhow, unless you are printing some special model that has issues itself either should work, really. This doesn't sound like an issue with the resin...

Are you always trying the same model, or did you try with different ones? Perhaps share your model (or a screenshot) and the settings you're using?

Also perhaps check this thread on leveling mistakes, perhaps it's the same for you?
https://www.elegoomars.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=918
These are my settings for standard red resin. I'm using that piece to just test strength, got it off thingiverse.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hmm... I don't use chitubox as it causes isses with my GPU, so I am not sure how big the supports feet actually are... is it just the round ones or also the larger square that's around them? If it's only the small one, perhaps you wanna try to increase that a bit... But it doesn't look entirely off.

Another thing that I see is that you use the same bottom layer exposure settings as I am with my Mars2 Pro with monochrome display. Try to increase the bottom layer count to maybe 6 and increase the bottom layer exposure time to some 100 seconds...

Anyhow, it still seems strange to me that have /that/ little success even with those settings.

My guess would really there's something off with your build plate leveling, maybe you don't properly save the z=0 when calibrating?
yeah I thought the supports might be an issue, so I laid the part flat and actualtlly got the part to print in different resins. So it seems like its working for now, though I still had a failure where it did not stick to the plate, are there any adhesives that you could put on the bed, or would that mess up the resin in the tank?
Thanks,
Will