Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sticking to FEP?
Hey guys! I've used my Saturn for a handful of prints, to varying degrees of success. I just fixed it after a disastrous spill caused by a punctured FEP. 

I believe the puncture was caused by the printed object sticking to the FEP during the print. I had heard a *THUNK* sound as the print rose for each layer. I ignored it, unfortunately, thus the spill. 

So... now it's still making that thunk sound as the print rises from the FEP. It's not as loud this time, but I'm still worried it will break the FEP. 

My question is: What is going wrong that causes this? Is the FEP too tight or too loose? Perhaps it's the exposure settings? 

Thanks for your help!

Jon
Hi Jon,

Hmm, haven't ever had a punctured FEP so far (knock-on-wood) but depending on the models I print, I do hear such sounds too. That is, when I print round tubes it sucks up the FEP and when it finally releases it makes that noise. That said, it never damaged the FEP for me (I'm still using the first FEP that came preinstalled after some 60 prints or so).

Anyhow, if this is happening for all prints for you, even small ones, I would guess the FEP is too loose.
Hey,

I am also having the very same issue with my Mars 2 Pro. I have been using my printer fine and have been able to get successful prints from my machine but the last couple of prints I started to notice a very weird sticking noise every time the build plate rose between each layer as if the print was pulling up the FEP sheet on every layer and releasing it. This did cause a puncture on my last print which ended up resin seeping through on to my screen and getting cured, nightmare! 

After having a mini tantrum and a lot of cursive words, I cleaned up the mess as best as possible, although the hidden screen protector did need peeling off and is now replaced. I also had to order a new gasket seal that originally goes around the screen to stop any resin seeping down inside the machine. Now, I'm not entirely sure what has caused this to happen in the first place but like I said, my prints where coming out fine. It has only been as time has gone on I started hearing the sticking sound, which makes me think it is down to the FEP sheet getting worn and maybe because I used IPA to clean out the VAT when I needed to which has taken away some of the properties that was in the FEP in order to prevent it sticking to my prints? I have heard that your not suppose to clean FEP sheets with IPA, but I've also seen that IPA is okay to use on your FEP sheets? From now on, I will not be using IPA on my FEP just to rule that out going forward. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before and also do you use IPA on your FEP or not? Be interesting to hear people's opinions on this actually