Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturn Z axis calibration
Good morning,
I read and followed the instructions from the Mars version of Z axis calibration.

https://www.elegoomars.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4

At first, I followed Step 1 and printed the second cube.  It was almost perfect.  I did want to follow up the next day after powering down.  I powered up and simply ran the cube again.  It came out the same as the very first squatted cube.
My question is:  Does one have to recalibrate the machine each time the power is turned off?  It would stand to reason, but I was not 100% sure that the "set Z=0" was a temporary thing.  Before I go into step 2 and permanently change the Gcode 8084 to adjust this, I wanted to verify.

Thank you for your help.
Confirmed.  Step 1 version is temporary until power down.  Once machine is turned back on, this procedure must be done again.

Step 2 version is permanent.  Changing the Gcode will make this happen every time you fire up the machine.

To recap.  My cube measured 19.55.  I set 8084 Z-0.45
Printed the Gcode file to my Saturn.
Powered down and back up again.
Loaded my cube print file.
Printed.
Came out 20.00 on Z axis.
Perfect!!

Thank you to those who steered me in the right direction for this fix!!
It is flawless.
I have to ask did you use the mars gcode? Doesn't that change your parameters to fit a mars machine? I am wary of using gcode for a mars on my Saturn and permanently changing it to operate wrong. Is there a Saturn Gcode to run? Does it matter? is there a difference in the gcode or I am just being over cautious?
(09-25-2021, 12:42 PM)sanzima13 Wrote: I have to ask did you use the mars gcode? Doesn't that change your parameters to fit a mars machine? I am wary of using gcode for a mars on my Saturn and permanently changing it to operate wrong. Is there a Saturn Gcode to run? Does it matter? is there a difference in the gcode or I am just being over cautious?

No.  I used the Saturn Gcode file that came on the USB stick with the machine.  Made a copy and altered it per instructions in the above link.

If you do not have the USB anymore, you can download the files that came on that stick directly from the Elegoo.com website.  Under support and select your machine.