Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Time Leveling the Build Plate
I have had several email exchanges with Elegoo support (which BTW ha always been responsive and great to deal with) re; the "Z=0" function. Per them it has always been functional on any model that displayed the button. However (and this is my interpretation of our discussions) what it does--I.e. set a logical "zero" position only attainable through G-Code commands--is so subtle that it masy appear non-functional to those who do not understand what it does.

The most misunderstood part of it all is that the "Home" function will ALWAYS move the platen to the hardware limit switch determined "home" position regardless of how the logical "Z=0" position may have been set. There is no upper limit or linear position sensor--therefore all the machine knows about the current Z-axis position at any point in time is how many stepper motor "steps" it is away from the limit switch established absolute zero position.

Repositioning the trolley manually and setting the logical "zero" position stores, into non-volatile RAM, a value representing the current trolley position's number of "steps" away from the limit switch actual zero position. To go to that position with accuracy the firmware must first move the trolley to the limit switch extreme and then back upward by the stored value number of steps, to what we have told it is the "logical" zero position.

As I have said it is a very subtle function, that cannot be verified or observed via any UI command--it therefore "appears" disabled or non-functional to those who do not understand what it does. This, combined with that pressing the "Home" button will ALWAYS move the trolley to the limit switch controlled zero position, is what makes it seem ineffectual.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com

Messages In This Thread
First Time Leveling the Build Plate - by shdwsng - 01-27-2020, 08:15 PM
RE: First Time Leveling the Build Plate - by cliffyk - 10-11-2020, 09:54 AM