Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print quailty following updates
Hi All,

I have recently updated my firmware to run Chitubox v1.9.0 and the quality is not as good.

I am seeing steps and lines in parts that were simply invisible in the previous versions . I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem , but my first suspition is chitubox's alias settings (does anyone know what the 1.8 v settings were?)  - incidently the new CB has a bad habit of crashing when switching back to 'part placement' from 'support' mode !

Suggestions?

TIA
Bill
The  print quality issues became obvious after updating the firmware from v4.3.19 LCDZ/3840x2400/F14.23.  I have re-checked the firmware type against the label on the bottom of the printer and it appears to be correct. All files supplied were updated in correct order and with a reboot between each file.

The problem seems to be a combination of both firmware and chitu slicer : Items sliced with chitu's  v1.81 have banding on the Y axis . Printing the same item slicied with v1.9.0 have a expanded Y voxels (see attached photos - I have more if you require). The items printed with the original 4.3.19 firmware and sliced with chitu 1.8.1 were near perfect.

I have printed the Ameralabs test piece (https://ameralabs.com/blog/town-calibration-part/) with the three combinations of firmware and slicer.  They were all printed at 100% scale with default slicer settings (time adjusted for the black resin)   and orientated with Y axis to the front/rear and X axis to left and right. The resin is anycubit basic in black for the two newest prints , and grey for the original piece (unfortunately I have no grey to test, but I think you can see that it is unlikely to be the resin at fault)

The attached photos are identified with firmware version (FW443 = 4.4.3 , FW4319 = 4.3.19) and chitu slicer version CB181 = 1.8.1 , CB190 = 1.9.0) . Apologies for the focus, bad cleaning , poor lighting etc. (most of the stringing is another attribute of the problem , it seems to generate a lot of floating debris )
Well, after a long (time delayed) conversation with Elegoo about the possible causes , they are sending me a new LCD screen!

Lets hope this fixes the problem .

Kudos to Elegoo for their excellent support , Thanks Ken :-)
How old is--or more importantly, how many operating hours on--your printer? On the original Mars the LCD lasts approximately 250 to 300 hours before the "liquid" breaks down and no longer twists as it should--read more about this here
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(09-13-2021, 10:35 PM)cliffyk Wrote: How old is--or more importantly, how many operating hours on--your printer? On the original Mars the LCD lasts approximately 250 to 300 hours before the "liquid" breaks down and no longer twists as it should--read more about this here
I've only used couple of litres resin , so not many hours at all.

I'm still puzzled by the apparent coincidence with the firmware update: I ran out of black resin and, while waiting for a new bottle to arrive, updated the firmware . The very next print was a mess of stringing an lines , I thought is was the v1.9 Chitubox settings at fault (several new features that might need tuning) ,  it was only after a couple more messy prints that I noticed the lines were visible on the LCD in 'exposure' and 'clean' modes .

Interestingly , the test prints using the sliced code from v1.8.1 were much cleaner (although also had the line fault) .

this picture is of the build plate after a chtiubox v1.9 test print, notice how there appears to be an echo of the parts in the debris.     this doesn't happen with the same part sliced with the earlier version.