Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 50-60 layers are distorted
I’ve had to Elegoo Saturn for about 30 days I’ve done several prints for resin test so my profile looks pretty good. Most of my prints I don’t need supports as it starts from a flat surface and no overhang. I use the Elegoo standard gray with a two second exposure and a 30 second  bottom exposure at five layers. Layer height is .05. The issue I am having the first 50 to 60 layers seems jelly like visually foggy but the rest of the print is good. Looking to test lifting height and other setting but not sure what are causing the distortion. I use a flex plate but it appears solid and I have zeroed the build plate several times. Any suggestions on where to test next?
(08-23-2021, 11:19 AM)Jon@colormaker.net Wrote: I’ve had to Elegoo Saturn for about 30 days I’ve done several prints for resin test so my profile looks pretty good. Most of my prints I don’t need supports as it starts from a flat surface and no overhang. I use the Elegoo standard gray with a two second exposure and a 30 second  bottom exposure at five layers. Layer height is .05. The issue I am having the first 50 to 60 layers seems jelly like visually foggy but the rest of the print is good. Looking to test lifting height and other setting but not sure what are causing the distortion. I use a flex plate but it appears solid and I have zeroed the build plate several times. Any suggestions on where to test next?
I have the same issue, though it doesn't seem to occur when printing the test chess pieces. Maybe it's the slicing software? Did you manage to solve the problem?
Since the Elegoo Saturn is monochrome, I've been told it lets more light through the screen. I bet what's happening is the base layer exposure is too high, and is affecting the resin near the perimeter of the part to create that texture.

I would recommend testing with lower base layer times. Start at 25, then 20...
(08-23-2021, 11:19 AM)Jon@colormaker.net Wrote: I’ve had to Elegoo Saturn for about 30 days I’ve done several prints for resin test so my profile looks pretty good. Most of my prints I don’t need supports as it starts from a flat surface and no overhang. I use the Elegoo standard gray with a two second exposure and a 30 second  bottom exposure at five layers. Layer height is .05. The issue I am having the first 50 to 60 layers seems jelly like visually foggy but the rest of the print is good. Looking to test lifting height and other setting but not sure what are causing the distortion. I use a flex plate but it appears solid and I have zeroed the build plate several times. Any suggestions on where to test next?

I also own a Saturn and was having a problem where my whole prints were warping. I solved this by bumping up the exposure to 3 seconds. also when I first purchased my printer my prints were continuously failing and I discovered that when you rotate your model 45 degrees on the
 x and y axis then add supports the prints all come out much better.
I will somewhat disagree with other replies and put forth that 2 s is too short an exposure fore the "normal" layers. This process (3D SLA printing is fundamentally creating and stacking mushy little blocks of partially cured resin (hence the need for additional "post-printing" curing)--if those blocks are too mushy all sorts of distortions occur. Try 3 or even 3.5 s.

You also might try experimenting with the "Transition Layer Count" as well, to "stretch out" the change from "bottom layer" to "normal" exposure--in your case try 25-30 layers...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com