Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rook print almost perfect
Hi all, I’m new to 3d printing… got the elegoo mars 2 pro for Christmas and only just done the rook test print.

Everything went smoothly and got two rooks  Smile but… there seems to be a little flaking and not sure what would have caused it. No other issues visible.

I used the test as is (probably the issue) so whatever settings it had baked in. The resin I used was the grey elegoo water washable rapid resin.

I’ve attached a picture and look forward to hearing from you all.

Many thanks (happy new year)
Muzzy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-31-2021, 11:12 AM)Muzzy Wrote: Hi all, I’m new to 3d printing… got the elegoo mars 2 pro for Christmas and only just done the rook test print.

Everything went smoothly and got two rooks  Smile but… there seems to be a little flaking and not sure what would have caused it. No other issues visible.

I used the test as is (probably the issue) so whatever settings it had baked in. The resin I used was the grey elegoo water washable rapid resin.

Muzzy
Apparently (I have not used it) water washable resins can be awkward if the temperature (>25'C) or exposure time are not perfect .

It might be worth finding a resin exposure test print and tuning the time to suit the resin you have
(01-03-2022, 02:40 PM)billtodd Wrote:
(12-31-2021, 11:12 AM)Muzzy Wrote: Hi all, I’m new to 3d printing… got the elegoo mars 2 pro for Christmas and only just done the rook test print.

Muzzy
Apparently (I have not used it) water washable resins can be awkward if the temperature (>25'C) or exposure time are not perfect .

It might be worth finding a resin exposure test print and tuning the time to suit the resin you have

hi billtodd thanks for the reply. Would the temp being too cold also cause issues? It was definitely less than 25’c. I have since managed to print a few things and not suffered the same issue.

will definitely take your advise and make sure the exposure times are right.

thanks again for the reply
The speed of chemical reactions are usually temperature dependent , the photo polymerisation reaction is no different.

Pushing up the exposure time gets more molecules reacting and since the reaction is exothermic that helps to warm things up .

Over exposure will effect quality , as the reaction tends to spread with time , so if you need short exposures , and nice warm temperatures.

When it's cold in my resin printer 'cupboard' in the lean-to on the back of my house, I heat the cupboard with a small PTC fan heater and warm the build plate on the stove prior to printing.
Nice one, really helpful explanation. I’ve been doing it in the conservatory and it wasn’t particularly warm when I did them so think you’re spot on.

Appreciate the help!!
My 2¢ worth--forget the water washable resin, it is nothing but overly brittle aggravation; that is not REALLY water washable...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
(02-16-2022, 02:58 PM)cliffyk Wrote: My 2¢ worth--forget the water washable resin, it is nothing but overly brittle aggravation; that is not REALLY water washable...
Hi cliff, thanks for the reply.
if it wasn’t the only bottle I had I would probably do that but need to work with what I have for now and then the next bottle will probably be something different.

thankfully subsequent prints have been ok so thinking it’s the temp that’s the issue so will try and heat the room up before I print again.

appreciate everyone’s help