Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File Type not recognised?
Hi, am getting the printer all set up and working, and managed to print the test file of the rook model, but then I attempted to print a file of my own and it does not work. I have opened the .stl, sliced the model, saved it as a both .ctb and a .cbddlp file type, and neither is recognised by the printer. I just get a 'file type not recognised' error with either of those file types, even though it's the same as the original test file, which works without issue. Any ideas what might be going wrong here? I've tried saving a few different models and downloading the rook2019 test file mentioned in the support document and none of them work.
(12-31-2021, 01:22 PM)Kit Wrote: Hi, am getting the printer all set up and working, and managed to print the test file of the rook model, but then I attempted to print a file of my own and it does not work. I have opened the .stl, sliced the model, saved it as a both .ctb and a .cbddlp file type, and neither is recognised by the printer. I just get a 'file type not recognised' error with either of those file types, even though it's the same as the original test file, which works without issue. Any ideas what might be going wrong here? I've tried saving a few different models and downloading the rook2019 test file mentioned in the support document and none of them work.

What version ChutiBox  ?  the latest printer firmware  requires 1.9.0  (or later)
Looks like it is 1.9.0
(01-03-2022, 05:42 PM)Kit Wrote: Looks like it is 1.9.0

I wonder if you are having the same issue as another member here:
https://www.elegoomars.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=1070

I kind of looks like elegoo have not supplied the printer with the very latest firmware.

To bring you up to speed : Chitu systems controls the software/firmware side of things for several 3d printer manufacturers. For reasons only known to themselves Chitu  want to tighten their control, and prevent 3rd party slicers using their system (except via their own SDK ) . This is not a popular move and so maybe elegoo felt it prudent to supply an older firmware, which allows 3rd parties (e.g. lychee slicer) access and only older versions of ChituBox (i.e. 1.8.1) , while leaving it upto the user to decide if the latest version would be best for their purpose.

So essentially , either use CB 1.8.1 , lychee or some other compatible slicer - or - update firmware and get stuck with CB 1.9.0 or  CB pro (at a ridiculous £170 per year) ,  until the 3rd parties work out CB's SDK.

Personally , I chose the latter and updated the firmware on my Saturn  (I don't like Lychee's spyware)
Nothing so nefarious, Chitu updated the compression algorithm for the .ctb format to make smaller files, faster. older printer firmware cannot decompress the new files--however the new firmware can read the old.ctb format with no problems.

Also, Chitu does not control[s] the software/firmware side of things for several 3d printer manufacturers, those manufacturers choose to outsource their electronics to Chitu.
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com
Also, Chitu does not control[s] the software/firmware side of things for several 3d printer manufacturers, those manufacturers choose to outsource their electronics to Chitu.

And by choosing that option the CONTROL of the firmware is in the hands of CHITU
Chitu only has "Control" only because the manufacturer(s) have delegated control to them rather than develop their own electronics and firmware. No one held a gun to their heads, if dissatisfied they can stop buying from Chitu whenever they like.

I am a mechanical engineer and tend to think in absolute terms...

My wife brought these home from shopping a few days ago, I asked her why anyone would keep eggs in a cage?

[Image: CageFree-00.jpg]

It's not like they are going to run away or bite someone...
-cliff knight-
[Image: 816-20120803-wide800.jpg]
paladinmicro.com